Wife put gas in diesel now truck running terrible Video attached

FIRE17LA

Nov 6, 2018
Okay so long story short my wife put gas in my 2008 duramax that I just bought. So I dropped the tank and blew the lines out and replaced the lift pump fuel filters and the truck’s fuel filter and put new diesel in it and Lucas diesel additive. After taking it down the road the truck is not performing right and when you hit the gas it has no power and makes a fuel knocking noise. I don’t know if the gas messed the cp3 pump or the injectors. I took it to my local diesel mechanic and had him check the injector rates and he said they all looked really good and it has no white smoke. So I am at a loss of what it may be maybe the video attached can help diagnose the problem.

2008 Duramax LMM
Stage 4 trans
Fass Lift Pump
EFI tunning from PDP
EGR delete
5” straight piped

https://youtu.be/SvliPXU4R7Y

FIRE17LA

Nov 6, 2018
Do you think I might need to change it again less than fifty miles on a brand new fuel filter from the dealer? It is very weird only get a fuel knock when accelerating above 1500 rpms at 65mph the fuel rail pressure at 65mph is 10k and when it starts knocking the fuel pressure gage start jumping around.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
As the previous poater asked, how many miles / how long was it run with gas in it? The pump may have worn out or been damaged.

Try commanding or have the dealership command max fuel pressure and see if the pump can hold it. Also may want to run a return rate test on the pump and injectors

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I had a buddy of mine put gas in his lbz (I think it was like 23 gallons in his stock tank so it was a very strong mixture) and then drive it about 15 miles.. It wouldn't start again and that's when he realized what he'd done lol.. Anyway we syphoned tank out and refilled with fuel and then pumped fuel with just the primer pump until it was just diesel and then started it up and it's been totally fine..

I'm curious to see what happened to yours. That's bad luck and sorry for ya..

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Your fuel pressure is really low

I would start with testing the CP3. But if you are that far in you might as well test the return on the injectors too. Do you have any tools to command and check fuel pressure?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Good thing is most insurance company's will pay for putting gas into a diesel but will not pay for getting bad diesel. That's just ****ed up in my mind. They will pay you for being an idiot but not for being a victim.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Also I'm with nemax. Your fue system is done. Time for injectors and a pump. I bet if you pull a high pressure line there will be metal in it. Also with it running like that and the balance rates came back good you need to find a new mechanic

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Do y’all think the crank and the pistons are fine?

Yes we deal with it all the time. The injectors and pump fail pretty quick before more damage is done.

DO NOT just replace injectors or cp3. Minimum the rails, cp3, injectors, filter and rubber lines need to be replaced.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Good thing is most insurance company's will pay for putting gas into a diesel but will not pay for getting bad diesel. That's just ****ed up in my mind. They will pay you for being an idiot but not for being a victim.

He might be screwed because he already began working on it. Whenever people make insurance claims we have to give fuel samples and wait for approval.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

Wouldn’t that be on the fuel station?