Why no wastegate?

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Kind of a silly question but I'm curious as to why my gt4088r is not wastegated? I know some of the smaller turbos similar like mine ie. supermax turbo, s300 based are. At what point do you not need one? Over spooling a small charger is always an issue...and kinda throws my "twins" idea out the window.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you run the turbo within it's designed power and rpm, it doesn't need a gate. Our problem is we like to overspeed turbos for racing, and a gate could potentially save the charger from our abuse.

When I first tested the High Tech, I left the gate alone, and it made about 30 PSI. Then I cranked the gate down, and it hit 34 PSI. In the process it made ~35 rwhp more. Then I shut it down completely and hit 40 PSI and picked up another ~40 rwhp. But, the EGT's went way up, and the charger was running off the top of it's map. Which will kill it eventually.

The ungated GT4088R made nearly the same power as the HTT with the gate forced shut.

So the question is, if you have a gate, will you be content to leave power on the table, or would you crank it down? What happens is, most guys will crank it down anyhow.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Good point Pat! I personally like the gates because it can give you a broader power range than no gate at all, just depends on the setup.

Mar 25, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
If you run the turbo within it's designed power and rpm, it doesn't need a gate. Our problem is we like to overspeed turbos for racing, and a gate could potentially save the charger from our abuse.

When I first tested the High Tech, I left the gate alone, and it made about 30 PSI. Then I cranked the gate down, and it hit 34 PSI. In the process it made ~35 rwhp more. Then I shut it down completely and hit 40 PSI and picked up another ~40 rwhp. But, the EGT's went way up, and the charger was running off the top of it's map. Which will kill it eventually.

The ungated GT4088R made nearly the same power as the HTT with the gate forced shut.

So the question is, if you have a gate, will you be content to leave power on the table, or would you crank it down? What happens is, most guys will crank it down anyhow.

I have been talking to HTT a fair but with fixing my turbo and they said they designed it for a peak boost of 40psi. What do you recommend to set the wastegate at on an HTT with the cast turbine housing for optimum results?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have been talking to HTT a fair but with fixing my turbo and they said they designed it for a peak boost of 40psi. What do you recommend to set the wastegate at on an HTT with the cast turbine housing for optimum results?

It depends on your elevation but i believe at sea level it runs off its map at 45 psi or so , but its been a long time since i looked at the map . I ran my S300 at 42-44 for a good while it madre good power and held up fine .

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

I tested the first model, before the stainless housing. Even at 40psi, the charger stayed intact. Ditto for the GT4088.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
what about chopping the throttle? can it damage the ungated turbo. I am getting ready to put on a 4088 and with my stocker if I chop the throttle it blows off the wastegate to get rid of excess pressure. Do I have to learn how to drive it differently?

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Jon, I made right at 550-575 with stock cp3 and injectors on my 4088 before I sold the truck.I should think you gotta be over 600