Why are Cummins engines considered so "good."

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I had an Isuzu Pup back in the 80's and put it through pure hell. It was low on power but took everything I threw at it and then some. I could drive it all week on $8.00 worth of off road diesel and it never costed me a penny in repairs. I feel very comfortable knowing my Dmax was designed by Isuzu.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
our blocks are cast in the US. The RAW head, crank, and rod castings (they look like chunks of metal in the rough shape of a crank for example) are from Japan. The cracking of the caps, and crank/head machining are done in ohio.

so yes, our duramax's do have some overnight parts from japan. :D

[YOUTUBE]xKXZT70gwNg[/YOUTUBE]

Randy5.0

MAKE IT 3 YDS MF
Sep 7, 2008
our blocks are cast in the US. The RAW head, crank, and rod castings (they look like chunks of metal in the rough shape of a crank for example) are from Japan. The cracking of the caps, and crank/head machining are done in ohio.

[YOUTUBE]xKXZT70gwNg[/YOUTUBE]

Is the "Mad Scientist" character based on somebody we know?:joker:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

I was looking over the new Diesel Power magazine (I think) a couple of weeks ago, and they had an article where the toured the DMax assembly plant. It showed a lot of the raw parts and assembly steps. It was interesting.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
x2 I completely agree. I mean WTF, Isuzu is one of the top diesel mfg's in the world. Those stupid hillbillies are so caught up in the "USA RULES EVERYONE ELSE DROOLS" thing that they dont realize if you go OUTSIDE the USA, Isuzu diesels are EVERYWHERE. They have been in the diesel engine business just about as long as cummins has.

X2.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
So my question is, what happens now that EFI will support the CR? Now that the Cummins guys can make the same and even more power while at the same time keeping there timing in check, will they be more reliable at 600-1000 hp range than they are now? Will they be more reliable than the D-Max

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
So my question is, what happens now that EFI will support the CR? Now that the Cummins guys can make the same and even more power while at the same time keeping there timing in check, will they be more reliable at 600-1000 hp range than they are now? Will they be more reliable than the D-Max

Good question!

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
x2 on a good question but here's mine cause I know jack about CR Cummins. Even though their rotating assembly holds up will their pistons? What's the size diff from stock dmax injectors and Cummins?

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
CR's are already are having issues with melting pistons as is, but IMO i think that timing from stacking is doing that... But then again there are piston melting d-max tunes out there weather it is due to timing or pulse or duration or whatever is causing melting issues.

cdub0451

Mar 8, 2010
Rio Rancho, NM
Somebody splain me the whole stacking thing. I know they have to disable the additional timing on one of the programmers. I'm a novice at all of the electronics side of diesel engines so break it down Barney style for us slow folks.

Randy5.0

MAKE IT 3 YDS MF
Sep 7, 2008

I don't know, but I'll bet the learning curve will be really expensive.:eek:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I love my dmaxs I have an 05 lly work truck that weights 13k plus daily has 138+k on it only had one set of injectors bad load of fuel did that an our 04 cummins dually(my dads) has only had that famous line for number 6 split an two factory lift pumps go out finally got him to let me put a Fass on it no other issues in a 140k knock on wood I love both trucks an would own either

'strokeThis_'07

Oct 2, 2009
Laramie, WY

I hope so. Really, it's a crap shoot. Save a couple guys that have scoped them, no-one really KNOWS what is going on. What's the timing? Don't know. Duration...don't know. Basically, we are at the mercy of the aftermarket, hoping that they know what they are doing. Our options are really pretty limited.

There's debate about the 3rd injection being the culprit to the 04.5-07 Cummins' more frequent melted piston problem. However, some have scoped it, and it only kicks in at certain periods.

I think it's actually kind of amazing we make the power we do with limited options, both Ford and GM can have custom tunes. I'm holding out hope that EFI is the answer, and yes, I plan to tune my own

Somebody splain me the whole stacking thing. I know they have to disable the additional timing on one of the programmers. I'm a novice at all of the electronics side of diesel engines so break it down Barney style for us slow folks.

Basically, you have three parameters altered in a CR; timing, pressure, and duration.

Many of these are changed by fooling the ECM. Tricking it into seeing less boost, therefore commanding more fuel. Or tricking it into seeing less pressure than it really is.

Example: Smarty replaces the stock ECM data with altered tables. The Quad Adrenaline takes the data from the sensor, alters it, and sends it to the ECM. The ECM will only command so much pressure, so the Smarty is limited. An external pressure box, like the Adrenaline or MP8, tells the ECM it's seeing less when it's really seeing what it wants, so it keeps commanding more to see the normal rate. Make sense? Actual pressure is 23k, the MP8 tells the ECM no, your only at 17k, so the ECM commands more to get to the 23k it wants, so your really at 26k

I'm by no means an expert, but that's a general example. However, programmers like the Smarty are so good, they take care of it all themselves, and the need to stack isn't as necessary, but some still throw a pressure box on.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
x2 I completely agree. I mean WTF, Isuzu is one of the top diesel mfg's in the world. Those stupid hillbillies are so caught up in the "USA RULES EVERYONE ELSE DROOLS" thing that they dont realize if you go OUTSIDE the USA, Isuzu diesels are EVERYWHERE. They have been in the diesel engine business just about as long as cummins has.

You're right, it's stupid ignorance. The US market is a small part of the world market. Nevermind that the DMax is made here.......Isuzu's been making diesels as long as most anyone. They're used all over the world. From a google search......3yrs in the late 80's Isuzu was the world's leading med. and heavy truck manufacturer. It's one of the world's leading diesel engine manufucturers, they sure's hell know what they're doing.