Who's Running Their Bumper Cover?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Today I had to do some running around, it was about -40 when I left the house. I didn't feel like freezing while trying to put the bumper cover on, so I went without. So who runs the bumper cover and who goes without, just leaving the bumper vents open? BTW I had my grill cover on. Sorry if this is a repeat question. :eek:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
never ran one. then again, it doesn't ever get much below 0 here either, much less -40 or something rediculous like that. Yet I am still complaining about the 30s we are seeing here now. :baby:

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Why did you leave home if it was -40 ? !!!!:D

Did your truck warm up ok with just the grille cover on?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yep, truck warmed up ok, about as good as you can expect in these temps. And I had to leave the house to write a test which I most likely failed. I was just concerned because I have heard that in cold temps the Allison cooler can freeze up, truck seemed to shift just fine.

5LTREATR

Oracle
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and it is cold here this morning was -25 celsius and I have never used a bumper cover although when it gets to -5 I always use the grill cover unless towing because then I found the IAT gets a little to high.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
When I had my lbz I never ran the winter cover and really had no issues without it in sub zero temps as far as getting warmed up or during a snow storm. Last lb7 was a different story. Without the cover if it's to cold out I couldn't keep the ice during a snow storm from comming half way down my windsheild. With the cover one then there is no problem. This lb7 I run the cover.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
For some reason on my LLY, when I ran my bumper cover and winter front, my interior temp was alot colder. Instead of leaving the temp at 23C, I had to max it right out and turn the fan up to 3/4. Not sure why but when I took the winter front off, it went back to normal. Engine temp didn't change much. That truck was a Chev the same as my current one in bodystyle.

I haven't tried it on my LBZ but I may this winter to see what happens.
Anyone else run into this or have any sort of theories as to why this happened?

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
only time i saw an increas of temps was long hauls on the highway with my bumper cover. on a long haul with it on, it would make it up to right under 210. with out it on during a long haul it would stay around 185.

now around town with or without it on, temps stayed the same around 185. heat in the cab to me felt the same at 185 or 210

chevy_dmax

Apr 30, 2008
Gladstone, MO
I don't run the bumper cover, but I do run the grill cover. She still don't warm up that great.

The bumper cover is a PIA and it get dirty and hold so much crap.....I dont like it....Someone needs to make a licence plate holder that will just cover up those 2 slots......Leave it to GM to design a whole blanket to cover 2 little holes.....

I ran it the first winter, it doesn't seem to make a big difference over just grill cover.

It was 17F this morning here when I fired it up. I have dreaded p380 code....I have a plug or controller out (non emmision truck). It has tough time warming up with my 11 mile ride to work, barley enough to even start to defrost windshield. Wind chill was -6F this morning.....cold walk into work.

Bill

03-GMC

Let there be light!!
Mar 26, 2009
SLC, Utah
I just ordered my cover it will be here Friday I will probably just run the grille cover though.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
-52* f is the coldest I have ever run. I always put the bumper cover and grill cover on as soon as it gets down to 10*. Truck doesn't warm up until you drive it for a few miles when its wicked cold anyhow, maybe I will try pulling the bumper cover off for a little while just to see.

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
Last winter I didn`t run with the cover....I didn`t even realize I had one. I bought the truck used and figured it didn`t have one. Then last spring I found it tucked up behind the rear seat. If I had known I had it I would have run it. I won`t be putting it on this winter though...I`m driving a winter beater (99 1/2 ton Z71), and the Dmax is tucked in my shop until spring.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
-27 windchill here this morning no plug in and covers started right up and drove just fine. I ran the covers on our 03 a couple times but found they don't really need them.

Last edited: