who wants caged 12 sec street trucks

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
i dont ,how about you guys.i looked through all the threads over on comp d and never found were anyone even mentioned that.not steve cole ordennis perry.i did see were these guys saw some testing is needed to make sure we are all safe enough while we are enjoying the sport we love.i never saw anyone on comp d endorse a bar for 12 sec trucks.as a matter of a fact the first person tto mention it i beleive was a dmax guy himself.i realize pat is banned from comp d but some of you other guys if you would please paste the post you guys thin eendorse bars in 12 second trucks and i will take it to comp d and ask about it...deal?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
i dont ,how about you guys.i looked through all the threads over on comp d and never found were anyone even mentioned that.not steve cole ordennis perry.i did see were these guys saw some testing is needed to make sure we are all safe enough while we are enjoying the sport we love.i never saw anyone on comp d endorse a bar for 12 sec trucks.as a matter of a fact the first person tto mention it i beleive was a dmax guy himself.i realize pat is banned from comp d but some of you other guys if you would please paste the post you guys thin eendorse bars in 12 second trucks and i will take it to comp d and ask about it...deal?

Jess
I don't think anyone cares what the Compd guys have to say at all. Back on topic. You know a 12 sec street truck with a shot of nitros is an 11 sec truck at any given time, so yes we are talking about cages in a 12 sec truck if they are going to run them on a track. On the other hand we could just not race these 12 sec trucks with a shot of nitros but what would that do to the sport?

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
Jess
I don't think anyone cares what the Compd guys have to say at all. Back on topic. You know a 12 sec street truck with a shot of nitros is an 11 sec truck at any given time, so yes we are talking about cages in a 12 sec truck if they are going to run them on a track. On the other hand we could just not race these 12 sec trucks with a shot of nitros but what would that do to the sport?
as far as the comp d quotes part i just never got that impression by what i read so i was asking for specifc post.on the 12 sec truck issue i agree a 12 sec street truck is a good shot of nos and the nads to do it away.however most dmaxes of the lb7,lly and lbz can be dialed into the 11.49 area.are you saying you think that the 11.49 should be lowered?i am all for testing to see if that is safe:D

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I counted at least 5 guys that said they felt that trucks running in the 12's needed rollbars before I quit counting.

I even have a post over there saying that I would not put a rollbar in Wendy, as we have two other vehicles with 5 pts, and Wendy is my daily driver and I got a response :quote:Well then maybe one of your trucks will just have to be your daily driver. :quote:

This post from Steve in this thread

Post here for safety concerns 11.50 or slower

While crumple zones are great they do not do sh!t when a vehicle lands on the roof. Take a look around as it's not hard to find any of the many trucks that have landed on the roof and it flattens in like a pancake! I do not care what brand it is they all do it. In the case of racing at high speeds with a heavy weight trucks it's much worse if it happens. I think for the normal 13 second and slower trucks are fine just as they are but once you drop below 13.0 they need to begin and add some protection for the good of the sport. I think a roll bar would be a good starting place and I'm not so sure that a frame mounted bar placed in the bed would be a good way to make it work and keep it out of the cab.

I don't need you to take that info back to Comp D though. You asked a question and I answered it.

I normally stay out of these threads as I'm too thin skinned for it :eek:

But, I do like racing my truck at local events as it is usually less hassle then to try share Casper. It's just not practical to take more then one truck cross country with our kids. Even though I admit Casper is funner to drive :driving:

I have been drag racing for over 8 years with probably a 1000 or so passes I lost count. I have never once felt unsafe in any of trucks. I can't say the same for the car. When our local track LACR, which is know closed, was having problems with the traction compond they where using. I saw too many people put their cars into the wall, so I pretty much stopped racing the vette. But, I continued to race the trucks.

There has been several times that I would take Casper or Meanie to the track by myself. Pat would check them out before I left to make sure they mechanically safe and I would double check the tire pressures when I got there.

Drag racing is a dangerous sport which I don't take lightly. I know there is a risk in every pass I take, in which ever vehicle I am driving at the time. Since most times I'm just racing to better my own personal times, if I feel the vehicle beside me might do something stupid, I can sit at the light and wait for him/her to go. But, I'm addicted so what can I say.

While most everyone thinks my husband is an asshole, if anyone thinks that he would unnecessarily put me at risk boy are they wrong. There have been many times when he has insisted to make the first pass in Casper, not because he didn't want me to drive. But, he had made some sort of mechanical change to the truck and he wanted to make sure the truck was still stable going down the track before he hands me the keys.

I think I'm one of the luckiest women alive, that I have a husband that loves :hug: and trusts my driving abilities enough to let me drive what ever vehicle we have. I have been on enough car and truck boards to know most guys won't let their wife drive their car/truck, let alone race it. This is what we do as a husband and wife hobby for fun :cool2:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well said Kat.
A company I used to work for, Schlumberger, and another well known oilfield company Halliburton use rollbars in the bed's of their work p/u trucks-and they work. My buddy flopped his 3/4 ton Dodge on it's roof over a bridge and it landed on it's lid. The rollbar in the box saved his life. I agree with the rollover thing Steve talks about.
I am for a "certified" box rollbar, But a full cage is absolutely retarded IMO.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Well said Kat.
A company I used to work for, Schlumberger, and another well known oilfield company Halliburton use rollbars in the bed's of their work p/u trucks-and they work. My buddy flopped his 3/4 ton Dodge on it's roof over a bridge and it landed on it's lid. The rollbar in the box saved his life. I agree with the rollover thing Steve talks about.
I am for a "certified" box rollbar, But a full cage is absolutely retarded IMO.

We aren't off-roading, and no 12 second trucks have rolled over at the track.

When stock trucks do roll over on flat ground, they are not a significant risk to a seatbelted and helmeted driver.

The reasoning would indicate we need rollbars in all truck that are driven on the street.

It's actually hard to roll a stock truck on flat ground. They slide.

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
I counted at least 5 guys that said they felt that trucks running in the 12's needed rollbars before I quit counting.

I even have a post over there saying that I would not put a rollbar in Wendy, as we have two other vehicles with 5 pts, and Wendy is my daily driver and I got a response :quote:Well then maybe one of your trucks will just have to be your daily driver. :quote:

This post from Steve in this thread

Post here for safety concerns 11.50 or slower

I don't need you to take that info back to Comp D though. You asked a question and I answered it.

I normally stay out of these threads as I'm too thin skinned for it :eek:

But, I do like racing my truck at local events as it is usually less hassle then to try share Casper. It's just not practical to take more then one truck cross country with our kids. Even though I admit Casper is funner to drive :driving:

I have been drag racing for over 8 years with probably a 1000 or so passes I lost count. I have never once felt unsafe in any of trucks. I can't say the same for the car. When our local track LACR, which is know closed, was having problems with the traction compond they where using. I saw too many people put their cars into the wall, so I pretty much stopped racing the vette. But, I continued to race the trucks.

There has been several times that I would take Casper or Meanie to the track by myself. Pat would check them out before I left to make sure they mechanically safe and I would double check the tire pressures when I got there.

Drag racing is a dangerous sport which I don't take lightly. I know there is a risk in every pass I take, in which ever vehicle I am driving at the time. Since most times I'm just racing to better my own personal times, if I feel the vehicle beside me might do something stupid, I can sit at the light and wait for him/her to go. But, I'm addicted so what can I say.

While most everyone thinks my husband is an asshole, if anyone thinks that he would unnecessarily put me at risk boy are they wrong. There have been many times when he has insisted to make the first pass in Casper, not because he didn't want me to drive. But, he had made some sort of mechanical change to the truck and he wanted to make sure the truck was still stable going down the track before he hands me the keys.

I think I'm one of the luckiest women alive, that I have a husband that loves :hug: and trusts my driving abilities enough to let me drive what ever vehicle we have. I have been on enough car and truck boards to know most guys won't let their wife drive their car/truck, let alone race it. This is what we do as a husband and wife hobby for fun :cool2:

Well said kathy!:cool2::)

MAX707

Mar 4, 2008
Well said Kat! Other than the effort and knowledge put into making it run safe wouldnt you attribute part of the truck being your saftess Race vehicle to four wheel drive?

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
I'm just an old fart and maybe that's why I sled pull now. Cages? I have to admit I would feel better if I had one. Do 11-12 seconds trucks need them? Probably not.

If the purpose of a cage is to protect the driver, then why can a 7 second motorcycle go down the track without, even, a door between them and the g-rail?

Don't get me wrong, I love to see fast bikes, but certain risk are taken when you go fast in short spaces. The stats will show that modified street truck's are just as safe, for the driver, as a fast bike.

BTW, we have plans to race Thursday night. The first pass will probably be all we get. Then I'll run the Dually for fun. I refuse to put a cage in the blue truck.

BADDZL03

Piston Cracker
Mar 8, 2007
Indiantown FL
I am going to the track tonight if weather permits, If you have to put a roll cage in a 12 sec truck it is going to take the "FUN" out of Fast.:rules::cop: And will hurt the industry as a whole. :badidea:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I have a question, if you flip your truck on the highway going 65 mph and it lands on it's roof or if you flip it at 105 mph at the track it is still the same result, you landed on your roof.

The odds are you'll land it on the roof driving on the highway sooner than at the 1/4 or 1/8 mile.

I think the real agenda is to take 99% of the truck off the race circuit so that an individual or a few individuals can have it the way it was, not the way it is now.

I won't mention anyone's name, but if you think the shoe fits, it probably does.

:D

I won't cage either one of my $40K plus trucks to race them, and if they enforce that rule the DHRA will dry up real quick.

Just when Diesels start to really get big and organized a few malcontenets try to ruin it for everyone else for their own dam selfish reasons.

:eek:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Well said Kat! Other than the effort and knowledge put into making it run safe wouldnt you attribute part of the truck being your saftess Race vehicle to four wheel drive?

Yes, I feel safest running the 4wd truck :cool2:

Last year on Mothers Day, Pat asked me what I wanted to do. Go racing of course Sweetie :hug:

We head out to LACR and they are only running 1/8th mile because of the wind :(

Well the wind dies down a bit:D and us and bunch of the Cobra guys are trying to talk the officials into opening it 1/4 mile. They tell us it Bernie's (Track Owner) decision. So everyone voluntaries me :eek: After my :quote: It's Mother's Day begging:quote: he tells me when I get up to the lanes to tell the guys to give me a solo pass in Casper in the 1/4 mile and if sees that Casper does fine he will keep it open to the 1/4 mile :D

tetge said:
Still, you opened the track to the full 1/4 after you blasted down it in the white land behemoth at unbelievable speeds and ET's. So, you did everyone who hung out for countless hours a huge favor.
The old, Bernie do it for me for mother's day routine actually worked...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Correct. The 4x4 Dmax is about the most stable sub-14 second platform I've ever raced.

Perhaps what irks me more than anything is that it's not the RACERS who want this, it's the spectators?? :confused:

Do they believe it will hurt less if they are squished by a truck that has a rollbar?

Or is it that they "know" what's best for everyone else? Nobody is asking them to race, and actually, if they believe a 12 second pass is terrifying, I honestly believe they should stay home. Nobody needs a Nervous Nelly screwing everything up.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I bet you my truck will NEVER have a roll bar in the bed or a cage in the cab....That said i will quit drag racing (even know i just started 2 years ago) if i have to do anymore than i have already to make a 12.0 pass. I think the 11.49 rule should stay.

Last edited:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Any mention on COMPD that these 12 sec DMAX trucks (for the most part) have a what.... 200" wheelbase?

Anybody thinking about that simple FACT.

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I am for NOT having a roll bar in my truck. However I do see "some" the points of having one in the truck. I do however know we say these trucks are safe and wont roll easy, but as soon as one does, there gonna be all over it. just about all of us learn from mistakes and close calls. If I roll over and come close to being squashed, bet your ass I'll come back with a cage in the next truck. But until then, I think at 12 seconds, truck cages should be up to your perfrance.

Either way if they make us have cages, I love the sport enough to follow there rules no matter how I feel about them.

Just my Opinion:D

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Some will probley not like what i have to say but this is my 02. I beilve that any Vehicle that steps foot to the drag strip should be requiered to have a cage. I will not be racing anymore until i get one put in myself. Main reason im doing it is its safer for me

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Some will probley not like what i have to say but this is my 02. I beilve that any Vehicle that steps foot to the drag strip should be requiered to have a cage. I will not be racing anymore until i get one put in myself. Main reason im doing it is its safer for me

Your right I don't agree :cool2: If that happened I think that would increase the amount of street racing. Not only would they be putting them self at risk but also a lot of innocent people:(

I have already had to attend one funeral from someone that died as a passenger in a car that was street racing and have also lost a several of internet friends that where involved in street racing accidents :cry:

I have seen several accidents at the track in daily driver cars :( But, I have yet to see someone get killed.

And that is my .02