LB7: White smoke after injectors and cp3 pump installed

hamib03

May 3, 2014
Running out stuff to try,,, I have been fighting smoke at idle issue for 3 mouths. I have installed 2 sets of injectors ipc valve then a cp3 pump. Nothing seems to help, runs great down the road but stop at a light and gray smokes takes over. I know balnce rates don't tell the hole story, but both sets have been we'll within spec. In fact one set has been installed on a 03 and runs perfect. Out of ideas and money,, lol any advice?

hamib03

May 3, 2014
Yes after first set of injectors, forgot to mention you can smell raw fuel at tail pipe. I have installed Kenndy fuel pump and fuel pressure relief block off, it's at the dealer now checking actual and desired fuel pressure. Acts just like bad injectors, just don't see how two sets

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
most people won't recommend changing cups unless one lifts out with the injector.

If there was a compression problem, it would show up in a balance rate.

And you couldn't pay me to run someone else's used injectors in my truck. ESP on an lb7. What do you consider well within spec?

hamib03

May 3, 2014
Both sets of injectors where remans not used , one set from a local shop and other from DCS. Dealer check actual and desired fuel pressure said there where good, they also look at balnce rate and said the where in spec. 4.5 +/-

hamib03

May 3, 2014
Oooo, okay lol, the worst rate was 3.8, what dealer is saying. I check them yesterday and 3.5 was the worst. I have notice that when fuel pressure is 4300 at idle when warm smoke and smell is the worst.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Who is DCS? I have tried Remans from very reputable places other than genuine Bosch and never had great luck. Balance rates won't be as low and they won't last as long. I have helped out more customers than I can count with trucks that they put injectors from _________ (you name it) in their truck and immediately had issues. Sounds like you need to take it to a reputable and experienced Duramax shop and have it figured out (and I wouldn't consider most dealers to be either when it comes to Duramax work). Do you consume oil over time? Do you consume coolant over time?

hamib03

May 3, 2014
No coolant loss, But I'm starting to wonder about the reman injectors I got. From what I have been reading your right should have went with bosh. Wonder if dealers are bosh??

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
I believe there was a post on here not to long ago that GM is now installing both Pensicola and Bosch remans during injector replacements in trucks. If I can find the post I will tag it. The only ones I trust are from Bosch themselves. Especially in the LB7.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
I apologize but I believe you were misinformed. GM does not use Pensacola for their injector needs. GM's direct source for injectors is through Bosch.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I believe there was a post on here not to long ago that GM is now installing both Pensicola and Bosch remans during injector replacements in trucks. If I can find the post I will tag it. The only ones I trust are from Bosch themselves. Especially in the LB7.

Sorry but :roflmao:
Why would GM buy injectors from a small shop that has a bad reputation when they obviously buy direct from Bosch? Who do you think they bought the millions of injectors from that went into the trucks originally? Even if they wanted 3rd party remans they would buy them for a bigger place that chain stores are buying from like Dipaco.

hamib03

May 3, 2014
When I replace my cp3 pump I installed what they called a Red Dragon pump. I was considering replacing injectors with 20% over injectors. I see some good things about Lincoln Diesel, has anybody has any luck with them??

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

I don't remember anyone saying they got them from Pensacola, but supposedly Bosch told more than one person that they do not supply GM their LB7 injectors anymore. Here is the thread: http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58696