whistling noise...turbo?

2trout

Mar 14, 2012
Cameron MT
www.2trout.com
this is my first diesel-turbo, so still trying to get used to all the new noises etc.
With a window down, I can hear a whistling noise, increasing and decreasing in tone and intensity with relevant throttling, is that the turbo?
My 2002 came fitted with a cold air intake and 4" exhaust, in case these mods have anything to do with that.

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
Goin out on a limb here, check the driver side intercooler tube down by the power steering lines. They ten to rub a hole into the tube. An easy check anyways just in case that isnt the problem. goodluck

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Where does the whistling noise come from? Under the hood or from the tail pipe? I have the same type of setup and mine whistles pretty good from the tail pipe. When it was stock it seemed to be more noticeable under the hood.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Your first diesel? Yes, it's the turbo, I love that sound. When I first got my diesel and did the intake and exhaust I used to roll through parking lots at 4 miles an hour increasing and decreasing throttle just to hear it :)

2trout

Mar 14, 2012
Cameron MT
www.2trout.com
thanks for the feedback. Come to think of it, I sometimes hear similar whistling noise coming from semi tractors.
I am pretty sure it comes from under the hood, inside the cabin you can just hear a turbine kind of noise at the same time, so I am assuming it is the turbo.
Now, this truck too has been chipped/programmed, how, I do not know yet, but am finding out in a week when I get it scanned and see what was done to it.

As a side question, I also get some white smoke from exhaust when idling, engine warm, have not noticed it when driving. No black smoke at any time.
I am running with OptiLube in the diesel, prescribed amount.

Last edited: