Which one of these tires are better in some mud??

Duramaxin

[><]
Oct 20, 2009
I have to get an all terrain on this truck since my last set of mud terrains wore out way to fast. I am looking at the Dick Cepek FC-II, Nitto Terra Grapplers, or the Toyo Open Country ATs.

I had the bfg All terrains in 37x12.50R17 on my old F150 and I got stuck all the damn time and it would piss me off to no end. Are those tires going to be any better? And if so which one would get me through some mud when I need it to.

Finally i was looking at the Goodyear Wranglers Duratracs. What kind of life could I get out of them? Are they going to be more on the All terrain side of wear or are they going to wear out in like 30,000 miles? I need them to last between 40,000-50,000 miles atleast.

Ive searched the forums. and I know my tires and what not, but I just want to know about the tires for these trucks since they are so much heavier.

Thanks in advance,
Cole

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
If want to get some mud terrains that last I would look into Cooper stt's. I have about 15k on my set now and the backs are just now showing wear. And that is without rotating every 5k.

Red Dmax

Big Boy Toys
Apr 19, 2009
If want to get some mud terrains that last I would look into Cooper stt's. I have about 15k on my set now and the backs are just now showing wear. And that is without rotating every 5k.
Dang! I thought they were showin a good bit of wear. But what do i know. The Terra Grapplers will last the longest but are the least effective in the mud. Most good mud tires dont have a very long life .

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

I've had 3 sets of these in 60 000 miles. They are a crappy noisey tire and I won't buy another set of Cooper M/T's. The Cooper A/T's however are much better and I know a few guys that run them and love them. Can't get them in a 35" though-biggest is a 33".

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I put Mickey Thompson ATZs on last week, most aggresive AT Ive seen more of a mild MT. Probably won't get a real test till deer season in December.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Out of your choices get the Toyo's, they will last longer than the nitto's, but the nittos are less expensive. Both of them arent very good in the dirt but are better than street tires.

These trucks have sooo much torque and no weight in the rear so anything short of super swamper boggers arent going to hook up.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I agree with the Toyo's At lasting the longest, but there not the best in mud. I have heard of people getting exceptional mileage out of Toyo Mts. I have a set 38's in the garage as soon as I can get the SAS done.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Get bfg allterrians the KO. I have never had problem getting any where with them. But u gotta have enough power to turn the over for them to clean well. If you can clean them they will get you any where u wanna go within reason. Another tires i have had very good luck with was the mickey thompson MTZ i have had them on my truck for over 40,000 miles. They act like they wear so far then quit.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I've got about 50,000 miles on my Toyo's with hard street driving...Very happy with them...No experience with how they perform in the mud...

TYREBOYZ_DEMAXIN

The Tire Frier
Jun 13, 2007
Barnesville OH
if you want a good tire with great street manners but likes to get dirty also look at the Cooper Discover ST,Mastercraft Courser CT or the Micky ATZ..i have run all of them and been very happy with them..the FC-II are way over rated IMO..the Nittos are nice for a milage tire but suck in the mud,Toyo ATs are great in the snow but arent worth a darn in the mud and i couldnt get very many miles out of them!
the new GY MTR with Kevlar is an awesome tire,great street manners and very impressive when you hit the dirt.by far one of the best avalible.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Nitto TG's will suprise you in the mud you just half turn them. I went through some mud last spring that was over my rims in a pasture and with less than half tread i had no problems. I figured i would get stuck instantly. These tires are also awesome in the snow and i have over 50k on them.

Duramaxin

[><]
Oct 20, 2009
thanks for the advice guys. surprisingley my buddy just got 54,000 miles on the Toyo mud terrains.:rockon:

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
i read the first post and that was it..............stay WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY the hell away from the Terra Crappers, completely WORTHLESS, I hate these damned tires. you'll get stuck in wet grass

Last edited:

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Why don't you look into some Toyo MT's. Very good street manners, seem to wear good, and do way better in the mud than any AT tire will.