LLY: Where to put oil cooler?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Well for me to build something, maybe but Sean isn't me lol. Even still, to try to make something aestheticly pleasing and fully functional won't really be there to go along with his look without a fan on the cooler.

You guys are making a big out of a very minor difference on unloaded trucks. If you were towing decent loads in the summer, gains could be made by a location change and fans but unloaded in traffic where you will see heat soak regardless of what's in front of the intercooler, you won't see much difference. A simple tune change can make a bigger difference in spool up than the heat soak and increases spool up time you would see.

Case in point, put 10-15k behind the truck, pull black canyon hill at 35mph in 113* weather and at the very top, stand on it like your going to pass a car/truck. You get lag for days from the major heat soak......

Matter of fact, the condenser is the biggest cause of heat soak over the trans cooler or even an oil cooler in front of the cooling stack. Turn the a/c off in the summer cruising down the highway and you will see a 50* drop in egt's alone

Completely agree. In my case I am never hooked to a trailer. And with the sleeper stock appearing theme on my truck I don't want to hack up my bumper or else I would have. It's not a matter of fabrication skills, I have that down and then some, I just like the factory appearance.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
People told me it wouldn't work being under the truck. My oil temps stay low, even with 1/2 filled block and triple turbos. This was on a 95 deg day, I even drove it in D.C. Traffic.
picture.php

Elgavilan

Desert Rat
Aug 28, 2016
Arizona
I just finished putting one in my 2004 lly. I did mine similar to Sledheads, used the same cooler, and sandwich adapter. I ported mine because all the original holes were 1/2", so I opened up everything including the AN-10 to AN-12 adapters on the sandwich adapter and the new oil filter center adapter. I did the air supply holes a little different.

220743babc2dc5ac5bbf445df8b06506.jpg

f571c4812460101cfc3a2e103a73dcd2.jpg

Sent from the Arizona desert

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Still working on my setup. I'm planning on putting mine under the truck between the frame and tc also. Largest amount of room while still being hidden and above the bottom of the frame.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
No oil cooler,
oil temp: 240-250
Coolant temp: 220
Trans temp: 210-220

After oil cooler
Oil temp: 190
Coolant temp: 176-180
Trans temp: 172

Id say without a doubt it does it's job. I could not get the oil cooler to go over 200 even with several hard runs.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I sent some dimension to BAT/MOCAL and they machined an adapter specifically for the Duramax. It has a built in thermostat -12AN ports, retains the stock filter, no modifications necessary, everything the other ones I looked at did not have.

Current part number is BAT MOCAL SP2TC

I did purchase one and it will be awhile before if at all to install, my cancer has taken a turn for the worse in the last 7 months and still plan on livin' awhile...

=
24fwcpd.jpg

=
=
2vi5raq.jpg

=
=
14jvmmq.jpg

=
=
=
=

Last edited:

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
I sent some dimension to BAT/MOCAL and they machined an adapter specifically for the Duramax. It has a built in thermostat -12AN ports, retains the stock filter, no modifications necessary, everything the other ones I looked at did not have.

Current part number is BAT MOCAL SP2TC

I did purchase one and it will be awhile before if at all to install, my cancer has taken a turn for the worse in the last 7 months...

=
24fwcpd.jpg

=
=
2vi5raq.jpg

=
=
14jvmmq.jpg

=
=
=
=

I am truly sorry for your health, but do want to say thank you for taking the time to work with Mocal and getting this part made for us. I have read just about every oil cooler thread to be had on here and they all send me all over the place when it comes to the adapter. Posting the picture and the part number have made this much easier.

In addition Vibrant has released oil cooler cores to make your own custom of a bunch of sizes for super cheap. I plan on using one for my Kodiak a 12x12 and mount it under the truck with a fan on it. The stack is too full for going up front.

Once again thanks for the help!:thumb: