Where to buy an air guillotine?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Today I had an '09 Jetta TDI run away on me due to a blown turbo and frankly I never want to experience that again, let alone with my own truck! Since I'm still waiting on my turbos to show up I figured now would be a good time to install one. What is everyone running and where would I purchase one? Electric or mechanical? Which is better? I have a 12" section of intercooler boot going into the intake that I've been wanting to eliminate so I figured this would be the perfect spot for one.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Go to your local RV shop and find a black tank sewer gate valve. You can find both manual and 12 volt actuated. You'll need to figure out some basic plumbing stuff...

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I really like all the suggestions, especially the cheap routes! However I was hoping there would be a "post-turbo" setup that I could integrate into my 3" intercooler ducting. The inlet to my large charger is 6" and I could barely cobble a 90° pipe and filter in front of it let alone fit in a shut off valve as well. Worse case scenerio I may be able to retrofit one into that pipe but like I said before I have a perfect spot in my intercooler piping. Plus I figured a 3" valve may be a little easier/cheaper to find than a 6" valve. I have seen trucks come through the shop with post-turbo air shut off's however those were all stock piping applications and I cannot recall who made them.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I did see that thank you. But If it's meant for a stock LLY I feel that would be a harsh restriction going down from 3" diameter piping at 90lbs of boost.

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
Motion Industries is a vendor, that's where I get them anyways.
they are spendy! At least the ones we buy for a 3512 are (around 3k) those are 5" though

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Good thread Dustin, been thinking about this for the last year, just have not done it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Search oil field area local listings. Positive air shutoffs are everywhere and many ppl remove once they purchase truck for private use. Raco shutoffs for 6.0 are 3" from what I've had

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I have a few friends in the oil fields so I'll have to ask their opinion! Good idea.

Expensive little things! I was hoping they would be a little cheaper. But I guess in comparison to a blown engine it's pocket change. I would be completely fine with a mechanical pull cable ran to my floorboard or something, especially if that drops the price a bit.

I'm a 'build-my-own-parts' kind of guy so I would be curious if a throttle body off of a gas engine would work? It's already a normally closed valve. Weld on some 3" nipple ends or V-band fittings on each end and rig up a choke cable that holds the throttle open. Still hard for me to stomach $800 for a valve.