What's that fluid?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm going to check everything and make sure everything is good.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I pressurized the cooling system to 18 psi and left it for almost 4 hours, and it never lost any pressure. That tells me the heat exchanger isn't cracked. Then I noticed the converter rattled when I picked it up to box it so I could send back the core, and the cooler was full of aluminum when I flushed it. I think something happened to the converter that took out the pump. Here's a picture of the cleanable screen filter on our flush machine. It ran for about 30 seconds before it overloaded itself and shut off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 59

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I pressurized the cooling system to 18 psi and left it for almost 4 hours, and it never lost any pressure. That tells me the heat exchanger isn't cracked. Then I noticed the converter rattled when I picked it up to box it so I could send back the core, and the cooler was full of aluminum when I flushed it. I think something happened to the converter that took out the pump. Here's a picture of the cleanable screen filter on our flush machine. It ran for about 30 seconds before it overloaded itself and shut off.

Pressurising the cooling system will not tell you if the heat exchanger is cracked or leaking. It takes pressurised heat to open the crack in the heat exchanger. I've been through this many times and it cost me big money years ago. I would never use that radiator again. I question the trans cooler also. With this kind of metal in the system you will be having fun with the E shift valve sticking. get ready for the P0872 code.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Can you get the fluid checked for presence of coolant if you doubt it ? Thats the MOST muck I have ever seen!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Pressurising the cooling system will not tell you if the heat exchanger is cracked or leaking. It takes pressurised heat to open the crack in the heat exchanger. I've been through this many times and it cost me big money years ago. I would never use that radiator again. I question the trans cooler also. With this kind of metal in the system you will be having fun with the E shift valve sticking. get ready for the P0872 code.

There is absolutely no oil in the coolant, and since the transmission fluid is under more pressure than the coolant, I would think you would see just as much or more oil there as you would see in the transmission. Since oil and water don't mix, I would think they would separate if left sitting long enough. I've had that fluid sitting in the container since Monday, and it hasn't separated yet. It's just burnt and nasty with lots of metal in it. I flushed the cooler for about 2 hours yesterday, and it came out really clean. I may be wrong, but I feel good enough about it to try it. I do appreciate your input though, Mike.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Josh
I can't tell if there is coolant in there or not. Just an observation looking at the picture. When coolant mixes with atf it will not separate as you might think. It get milky looking. If the fluid is fairly new it will look like a strawberry milk shake and if it's burnt it will look like chocolate shake. I've had mixed fluid like this sitting for weeks as no one wants to pick it up ( oil/water ) and it never separated. Just trying to help.:D

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
It's funny, because I have 2 buckets outside, one with motor oil in coolant mixed (from draining a motor) and one with trans fluid and coolant mixed (from draining trans) and it depends on the quantity of coolant in relation to the trans fluid if the fluid separated...the more coolant, the easier it separated. the motor oil mixed into a heterogeneous liquid