What's Going On

PlayGun

Feb 17, 2012
Tennessee
Just wanted to say high, as always I find the best forums about a pickup before I buy one to talk to real world people who own them. Good to see everyone hope to have a great time here. I am currently looking to buy between a 2001 and 2004 Duramax. I am previously a Dodge man because you can get 500k out of the Cummins engine no problem, but I am wanting an automatic and it simply doesn't get any better than the Allison trans. I know they will pretty much handle all bolt ons and tuners without modification. But the Ford and Dodge need to be modified if you go past an exhaust or high end tune. What do you guys think about the model line I mentioned. I know these trucks make alot of power, and they can usually make you smile with just an intake, exhaust, and mild tune. but how are they when it comes to dependability. Can you get 500k out of these trucks, and is it ok to buy one of these trucks showing more than 200k on the odometer?

Last edited:

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I own a '1st gereration' Dmax that I bought with 135,000miles on it. I have the simple mods that you mentioned and that is all I plan on doing. I also plan to get alot of miles out of it. What it really comes down to is maintainance and care. However, some people will tell you that you will gett he most longevity out of it by leaving it stock. Look for one of these trucks that is fedrally emissioned(less useless crap on it). just my thoughts and opinions.

PlayGun

Feb 17, 2012
Tennessee
Thx. I'm just gonna go with an exhaust, air intake, and a tune, probably the EFI tuner, from what I have read they look nice, but I wonder if they are easy to use. I have found 2 trucks in my area, both are 2001's, one has a little over 200k the other 218k. They both appear to be stock, they still have all stock engine components and stock exhausts. All I will ever pull is a horse trailer and I may burn the tires every once in a blue moon. But what I look for is power without alot of useless smoke. I like some smoke under wot, but I am not one to cover the highway with the black stuff. It looks like wasted fuel to me.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
:welcome3:

Not that there is anything wrong with an 01 or 02, but with an 03 and up you get a modern electrical backbone and something perhaps improved with headgaskets.

The data bus wiring gives you more options for upgrading. The stock intake isn't a huge concern, porting your turbo mouthpiece with a dremel is probably a better upgrade.

Towing horses - absolutely plan on boost and pryo gauges.

I've thrown about $10k at my 03 and wouldn't trade it for a stock new one.

:welcome6:

Last edited: