Question: What Year Of The Duramax Should I Buy?

D_MaxPower

Jul 22, 2014
I about to buy a duramax, what year and engine model is the best? I heard the lbz is good but is there any problems with the lbz? Thanks! :chevy:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I vote 05 LLY. but depends on what you want to do with it. if you want to go with max power on a stock engine the piston issue with an LBZ is enough to steer me away from them. but then again bang for your buck a 120 hp tune on a shift kitted 6 speed ally is a damn good running duramax for not much money.

D_MaxPower

Jul 22, 2014
I vote 05 LLY. but depends on what you want to do with it. if you want to go with max power on a stock engine the piston issue with an LBZ is enough to steer me away from them. but then again bang for your buck a 120 hp tune on a shift kitted 6 speed ally is a damn good running duramax for not much money.

Is there an EGR on the 05 LLY?

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
That's the other thing....the newer the truck the more emissions...progressively from engine series to engine series. Federal emissions (errrything but Cali emissions) LB7s have the least factory emissions equip. If you want to delete your exhaust equip but live in a major populated area, you may not pass the emissions testing now required for all diesel vehicles. Unless you don't mind installing the emissions every two years or so to pass your test.......My LB7 passed emissions a short while ago and it has a stack and larger injectors :D

There is a smoke test where I live as well that is an attempt by the testing facility to get your truck to produce visible smoke which will result in failure. Tuning can help with this test!

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Sadly ^ he is right. The injectors will only last so long before needing replacements and even worse people sell LB7s when they need injectors so a lot of LB7s on lots or private sale are needing 2k+ just to get em running up to par. Supposedly injector internal parts have gotten better for them but people argue all the time on wether or not the updates are any better.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Ya problem free except for those cracking pistons...I agree the LBZ is awesome and has some better traits than previous versions but def has its own unique weaknesses.

Lb7/lly have crap rods
Lbz/lmm have crap pistons.

In both cases your talking about failures when pushing 600hp+

You read more about lb7 injectors going (every other week someone is replacing them it seems).
You see more lly head gasket issues.
Only issue I have heard of with the lbz is crankshafts snapping randomly, even at stock power levels, but it is so rare.

So let's be honest, at stock power levels the lbz/lmm are probably the most reliable. Lml' grenade cp4.2's and the DEF issues. Lmm has dpf/egr which are easily modded. Lbz has egr easily removed also.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Lb7's are so much cheaper than Lbz's. I wouldn't let the injectors scare you away.

Exactly. They actually all have injector problems, the lb7 is just more well known because there are wayyy more of them on the road and they are the first generation so they are older and they are harder to change.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
LMM, they can and do make big power and consistently stay together better than any other year. Yes, you have to delete a DPF but you are still removing the cat on the LBZ so what's the difference really? Look at all the twined pumped and big air stock LMM's that are around...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
'07 LBZ

Piston's aren't as big of an issue anymore. I think the bad ones that were gonna go have already pretty much gone by now. It's just the crank issue that is plaguing all but the latest engine model I would worry about.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I would buy a brand new one with a warranty and leave it the hell alone. That's just me though lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
LBZ or deleted LMM depending on what body style you like, but thats just me.
Leave the LB7/LLY trucks to people who know how to and want to work on them.
LML only if you want to keep it completely stock.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I'd say pick a body style you like. When I got mine just wanted a newer one. Not hat I think back it's a brick pushing air going down the road with the huge front end. Wishing I would have gone early 07