What to do...

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
What about a modded stock charger like a Danville or Fleece. I wanna do one of Mark's billet 72mm after my transmission gets built

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I honestly dont think I have any need for a VGT turbo. The truck towed the most it ever has today since I've owned it and that was only about 1,300 lbs.

paul06d-max

Nov 18, 2010
If you've got a LLY/LBZ/LMM do a Fleece V-band S366 no custom intake needed.. Their kit comes with everything to put it on.. I've got one on my LBZ and I love it!!

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I'd get the 371. That's what I have. I do tow, and you can tow with the 371 just fine. Just rev a hair higher on hills (either downshift or speed up :D) to keep the turbo lit.

With the S371 and 60% over injectors, I get a hair better highway mileage than I got before (about 0.5 MPG better), but worse in town (about 1-2 worse, depending on my right foot). Towing mileage is similar to stock, and a bit worse on hills. I'm not sure if the turbo change or exhaust change is what helped my highway mileage, maybe a bit of both.

Personally, I would skip the 45% injectors and go for 60% or so. I have Industrial Injection 60% overs, and despite all the bad people like to say about II, they are going well so far with ~10k miles on them. Idles fine, and runs fairly clean once I dialed in the tune. I kind of wish I had gone bigger on the injectors, actually.

However, you say a single turbo is your final performance goal, and if you are only shooting for ~600 HP, 45% injectors might be the best bet for you.

What cp3 work do you have done to support 60%?

Im not going to do a VVT turbo. For the price of some drop in turbo's I can have a fixed turbo installed.

So with everything being said. What about a s472 turbo?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
What cp3 work do you have done to support 60%?
Stock CP3, with 291,000 miles on it. It is the limiting factor for sure. I can only get ~1800uS pulse before rail pressure drops.

Based on a previous 415 RWHP dyno (tune only) and how it feels/runs now, I'd say I'm around 500-525 RWHP.

And yes, you can make this power on stock parts, but I tow at that power (race tune is also tow tune), and pulse width is sane. My engine is just as happy as it was on stock parts, but makes WAY more power.

I'd slap a bigger CP3 on, but I'd rather not risk my rods at the moment until I've got build money set aside.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I was told that I couldnt do 60% on my stock CP3. So will prolly be doing 45% instead.

Chad - Whats your reasoning for those vs a DBMW 366 or billet 371?