What to do...

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
So I'm not entirely sure what I want to do here.

I will have $6,575 to put on the truck here shortly. That being said I will be doing a built trans, pump rub, and trans lines cuz mine are leaking. Those together are right around $4,400 out the door with labor. My question is what should I do with the remainder $2,175?

I honestly want to go with a 371 kit from EPR. Either buy his kit or piece it together because I have extra clearance under the hood for a taller pedestal.
not-tagged-smiley-13110.gif
Reason I want this turbo is that it spools almost the same as the 366 but has the airflow of the 400 frames. Plus it'll be more than enough for me. Overall end goal for the truck is to have a different turbo and .45 over injectors. If the CP3 starts struggling, then I'll deal with what options I have at that time. Until then, 45% and turbo are on the list after the trans. I will be doing the injectors spring/summer next year.

So what should I do with the extra money? Do the injectors now? Get the turbo kit now? (I will actually have about 3,500 left over but saving some) Is the 371 gonna be a good turbo for me?

I do not tow. I drive the truck daily to and from work and am focused on mileage when I do drive. lol So I dont beat on the truck or
93C_peelout[1].gif
every chance I get. I go to the track once a month if I'm lucky for about 6 months of the year and make about 4-6 passes each time.

Truck is set up suspension wise and appearance. All I have left is performance. I already have SDP EGR delete, BD Full Bore, modified up pipe, PPE Race Plug, PPE Ported Fuel Rail, PPE CP3 inlet, RDL downpipe, 4" exhaust, Hot side intercooler pipe, Airdog 2 165, EFI, and PCV- Reroute.

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
and the day after is when I'm having my wedding ceremony. lol :rofl:

Brian, I don't really party at all. That leads to getting in trouble and I can't afford to get in trouble in my job. lol So I'd rather spend money on my truck cuz I've already bought a house and been in it 3 years.

Last edited:

dmax07

Aug 12, 2009
Colorado
I would go with either turbo or put it in the bank.. I'm doing similar set up in my truck soon.. I will be doing trans in next few weeks, and turbo sometime early next year.. And gonna run stock sticks for awhile.. So I would do charger.. But extra money in the bank is always nice and your soon to be wife would be happy, but in my case my wife would just spend it lol

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'd get the 371. That's what I have. I do tow, and you can tow with the 371 just fine. Just rev a hair higher on hills (either downshift or speed up :D) to keep the turbo lit.

With the S371 and 60% over injectors, I get a hair better highway mileage than I got before (about 0.5 MPG better), but worse in town (about 1-2 worse, depending on my right foot). Towing mileage is similar to stock, and a bit worse on hills. I'm not sure if the turbo change or exhaust change is what helped my highway mileage, maybe a bit of both.

Personally, I would skip the 45% injectors and go for 60% or so. I have Industrial Injection 60% overs, and despite all the bad people like to say about II, they are going well so far with ~10k miles on them. Idles fine, and runs fairly clean once I dialed in the tune. I kind of wish I had gone bigger on the injectors, actually.

However, you say a single turbo is your final performance goal, and if you are only shooting for ~600 HP, 45% injectors might be the best bet for you.

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
750-800 is the end goal honestly. But I'm keeping it safe until I can make the bottom end stout for the 800. Don't really see a point higher than that.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I've been thinking hard about the s371. It would be a sweet single for dyno comps. The smaller housing but with the 71 compressor would make for a fast lighting turbo that would be awesome on the dyno.... if you're into that sort of thing. lol.

My vote is bank or charger. You're thinking billet on the 71 right? Is that all that is offered in that trim?

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I honestly don't know what is offered. It isn't on his site. Also don't know the difference in his basic vs premium kit on it either. I'm not gonna call and bother him till I'm ready to buy. I'll do a few dyno's. Mainly DD and drags.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
JM2C but I'm near retirement. It's your $ but I'd recommend at least SOME gets put away as an investment in your, and maybe a family to follow's future.
But yeah, you gotta have some fun too.:thumb:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Why do you say cast? I enjoy dyno competitions, but to each his own.

I have driven/raced an S475 cast and then billet as well as a stock LMM turbo cast wheel then billet and neither did shit for performance, 1/4 proven.

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I vote cast wheel... BTW "dyno comps" are gay.

Why the cast wheel? Personal experience? spool? flow? Just trying to gain knowledge.

I'll hit my 5 year mark in the military come this march. Still have 1 year after that of my contract and lookin to do a full 20. Wife will be getting a 55k a year job, we already have in our family "inheretiance," once it comes to that, a beach house that we only pay taxes on cuz it's fully paid for. 350k saved. 6 rental houses which values over 400k and 120k invested currently. They are building a main interchange right through grandpa's property so lookin to sell for the gas station they are plannin on putting in. So I am hoping for the retirement aspect I'll be set. I'll adjust accordingly as time progresses. For the time being, I'm playing. :beer

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I have driven/raced an S475 cast and then billet as well as a stock LMM turbo cast wheel then billet and neither did shit for performance, 1/4 proven.

So what about cast vs batmowheel? Or same difference?

I can only type so fast on the phone. Y'all are answering faster than I can type. Haha

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Are you set on a single? For a few hundred more, why not compound your stocker?

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I'm pretty set on a single. With labor and everything it's about a grand difference. Single installed for 2,700 ish. Compounds are 3,800-4,700 installed depending on which kit I choose.

Something about the sound of the power of a single rather than a compound sounds much more impressive to me.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Installing a compound setup is pretty easy, you should be able to do yourself and save some money

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
True but only charging 4-500 to install while the truck is down for the tranny build isn't bad to me. Plus if something messes up, missing, or isn't quite right, it's on them. Lol