What to buy

njaiu1

Jun 7, 2012
Hey guys I'm new to the diesel world I guess I haven't even joined yet. So here is a question to all you who have Dmaxes already. I'm looking to buy one, I'm thinking 03-06 GMC just cause I love how they look. Is there any model or year or anything that I should look out for?
Thanks for your time.
-I'm excited to join the diesel crew :)

Dmax_hromek

Oct 4, 2011
Petaluma, CA
Good years!

Well Ill start by saying you cant pick a better truck. I will say though that 03-04 have injector issues requiring you to replace them and theyre not cheap. If you have a spare 3k lying around and are pretty handy then no worries. Other than that they are great motors. Unless you drive like a crazy fool all the time, then any motor will start hatin ya:roflmao: 06 year with the VIN 8th Digit being a D means its an LBZ which in my opinion is one of the best Duramax motors! Welcome to Duramax!!:hug:

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
these trucks are fun.... they can get pretty costly at times... however, If i were you i would buy the newset one you can find... i feel that you will be very happy with an lbz... however you pocket book might not be happy...

05chevy

Jun 10, 2010
There all good trucks. LB7/LLY/LBZ. Pick either of the three models and you will be happy. Like said before LB7's do have injector problems

njaiu1

Jun 7, 2012
thanks everyone for your input. I don't think I can afford an 06. I've been looking at an 03 but we'll see how things go.

R_F_F

Mar 15, 2011
Pierceton, IN
Just my .02. I traded my 03 LB7 for an early 07 with the LBZ. I couldn't be happier. It was well worth the extra money for how I use it. The fuel economy stock v stock was better on the 03. But 750$ later I was EFI live tuned and back in the 20's (with a lot more power :) If you can at all afford an LBZ do it. You won't regret it. Not only do LB7s have injector problems, some of them have a starter problem where it grinds like every 10th start. I didn't find this out till after I owned one. 3 replacement starters didn't fix it, had to bite the bullet and get the 800$ dealer one.. If you do get an LB7 start it many times before you buy it.

And whatever year truck you get don't waste your money on a tuner or chip. Get EFI live. I got mine from Dan's Diesel Performance. He sent me everything I needed with the tunes exactly how I wanted with plenty of instructions a phone call away. Most reputable shops will do the same. EFI live isn't that much more expensive than a box tuner. And you can have it custom to how you want it. If you do a lot of towing the LBZ is a must. With EFI live you can use the turbo as an exhaust brake.

Hope this helps you. Good luck in your search!

02sfguy

Mar 15, 2011
Definitely go with a LBZ. I have both a 06 and 07 and I love them. I actually had a 05 LLY as well and got rid of it for the 06. Like other guys said the LBZ's are a little more money but its worth it for sure. Just be patient and look around, and if your like me and don't mind traveling to get it you can find some great deals. Also there is a for sale section on this site where you can find some nice trucks. good luck and welcome!!!!

njaiu1

Jun 7, 2012
I found an 06 but it has 245,000 miles other then that its clean with all options. Keep looking?

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Try to find any service record and what it was used for. If the price is right go for it. The high milage doesn't scare me anymore after what I've seen some of these stock motors hold(including mine) something fully loaded with that many miles should be right around 20k

njaiu1

Jun 7, 2012
I live in wisconsin so its been through the rough winters and salt. There asking 18. Its from a dealer and they said they did a 123 point inspection but who knows. The amount of miles on it really scares me but its in my price range and its an 06