LLY: What order for bpu upgrades?

Glider

Jan 22, 2009
I read the sticky for BPU upgrades but they look like they aren't in a logical build order for priority/cost. What is the cheapest way to get to 500 whp?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I read the sticky for BPU upgrades but they look like they aren't in a logical build order for priority/cost. What is the cheapest way to get to 500 whp?

EFI Live, lift pump, and transmission 500+hp

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
transmission, exhaust, efi, cai, shimed fprv, liftpump, lose the egr....................turbo, intercooler & boost tubes, etc :hello:

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR
I dont know...IMO the speed-to-moneyspent ratio is better with a Dmax than with a gasser car.

Not if you take into account the initial cost of the truck. I could make a cavalier pretty fast with $50,000.

As compared to ford and dodges though I would say its the cheapest of the big 3 to get into the 12's.

Glider

Jan 22, 2009
OK, I have:

Suncoast Stage 3, cat and muffler removed, Ported mouthpiece(similiar to CAI?)

Need PPE or EFI(looking for one used now), Race valve or shimmed FPR(does one work better than the other), going to get the cheapest ppe lift pump.

Are there any threads about porting some of the fuel fittings with pictures?

Thanks

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
OK, I have:

Suncoast Stage 3, cat and muffler removed, Ported mouthpiece(similiar to CAI?)

Need PPE or EFI(looking for one used now), Race valve or shimmed FPR(does one work better than the other), going to get the cheapest ppe lift pump.

Are there any threads about porting some of the fuel fittings with pictures?

Thanks

here's the link you asked for :D

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267

I wouldnt go with the cheap lift pump, add 4" exhaust without cat or muffler

Glider

Jan 22, 2009
Thanks Larry, Just got back from the parts store with the nut and washers.

What are the side effects of blocking off the egr(smells, etc.)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Not if you take into account the initial cost of the truck. I could make a cavalier pretty fast with $50,000.

As compared to ford and dodges though I would say its the cheapest of the big 3 to get into the 12's.

I dont look at initial vehicle cost. We bought what we bought and own what we own....

I just commented at what it took to get where I wanted to get to. So far its a bit over $6000.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
A ported LLY mouthpiece will not yield even close to the results an LBZ piece can FYI

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Yeah I was gonna say LBZ mouth piece. And remember buying the cheapest parts isn't really wise you ge what you pay for. When you are pushin big numbers with a diesel engine, you don't want 1 cheap part blowing up a several thousand dollar motor.

Glider

Jan 22, 2009
I have a LBZ mouthpiece on backorder. Dealer told me April. Figured I would try the port. I did it myself and it did make a difference. Enough to limp the tranny in conditions that it had never in 70000 miles of driving.

BTW, I do have a Banks six gun w/speed loader installed currently.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I have a LBZ mouthpiece on backorder. Dealer told me April. Figured I would try the port. I did it myself and it did make a difference. Enough to limp the tranny in conditions that it had never in 70000 miles of driving.

Obviously your gonna have to get rid of the Six Gun

clayt171

He's watching you
Aug 21, 2008
I O Way

Limped the Stage 3 or was the Ally stock at the time. Hopefully it was stock. If you limped the Stage 3 then you will be needing some more trans work before you hit 500.