what ever happened to climax?

RichLMM

Sep 5, 2010
North Kingstown RI
was watching youtube videos and came across one of climax...i know farmer dave got screwed on the sale of the truck which sucks but didn't know if the person who bought it pulls it or if they gutted it and parted it out? just curious thats all :D

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I'm wondering also, glad you started a thread. I know whoever bought it had a lot of problems with it in the beginning but hoping they got that all sorted out.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Not everyone goes on the internet. In fact, a large percentage don't.

You'd have to call Kyle to find out where it went.

Last I heard it was verbally sold to a member here and then Kyle backed out and sold it to someone else?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
It ended up down south and no it still doesn't run right. The new owner is now a customer of mine and I will probably end up with it in my lap if he doesn't get it all figured out at home. It's not red anymore either.

streetwise

Dec 8, 2009
Springfield OH
Its funny I found it in North carolina last year it is now black. The new owner claimed to build it but when I ask about the cracked windshield he knew I had the story on it. Helped them a little with some background on the truck but they broke some steering parts and could not get the charger to light. Glad they have found Mark to work it out. They were tractor pullers and a good group of guys new to the D-max.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Does it not run right or can the new owner not drive? Looked like it ran fine when Kyle drove it....if that's the case, there's a lot of trucks that don't run right when sold.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Does it not run right or can the new owner not drive? Looked like it ran fine when Kyle drove it....if that's the case, there's a lot of trucks that don't run right when sold.

While it's true that not everyone can drive, I think most of the time many of the "good" parts are removed from vehicles that are sold (whether it be to lower the cost, increase the profit as they can then sell the good part or re-use it, or to protect "secret squirrel" knowledge) and often times mismatched components (or original components that were removed originally but don't work well in the altered setup) go back in it just to get it running, moveable, and more sellable (by the seller or new owner) so it's often times an apples to oranges comparison.

If pulling truck building was cheap and easy (even a caveman could do it kinda thing), everyone would have a killer running truck. As you know, trial and error, testing setups, and getting all the pieces to work together in harmony is not always easy. I'm ASSuming many of the trucks that are sold, were not sold "as-is" or at least not as they were currently running if it was a great performer and now a dud (either that or the new owners decided to "improve" the setup and failed miserably).

I know Kyle used to try "new things" (some worked and some didn't) and I'm betting if he was thinking outside the box and something worked well, those components didn't leave with the truck.....sometimes one key component left out can really cripple a truck. It doesn't even have to be a hard part. After watching Tim and Dylan try to tune his truck for the aftermarket components on it, there are things that you would not think would work (compared to a stockish setup) that need to be done to make it even semi-driveable. The components might be there, but the intellectual knowledge to make them work (ie. tuning) could be missing.....and after seeing first hand how tuning to literally make or break a truck it adds a whole new element.

Who knows, it could be anything or a combination of things with that truck and others. I just have a pretty good feeling that most are not sold "as they were run" so to speak.

Last edited:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
If mine sells, it will be as is. But I worry a new owner might not be able to light the turbo, it surely takes practice and a good understanding of how it all works. Then there will be the Bs saying I sold someone junk, or changed it before I sold it. Just looking at it that way, I've seen many "top" trucks do bad with new owners and then they sell it, new owner, new brain, top truck again.

RichLMM

Sep 5, 2010
North Kingstown RI
If mine sells, it will be as is. But I worry a new owner might not be able to light the turbo, it surely takes practice and a good understanding of how it all works. Then there will be the Bs saying I sold someone junk, or changed it before I sold it. Just looking at it that way, I've seen many "top" trucks do bad with new owners and then they sell it, new owner, new brain, top truck again.
i think the biggest problem with new blood in an old truck is not everyone has the experience..i know i went from a glorified street truck last season to what i have now and it took a little while to get it down but i think i've gotten it pretty well figured out...and not everyone is a driver either some are better at other things i guess

RichLMM

Sep 5, 2010
North Kingstown RI
what i was trying to say was someone like yourself who's an experienced driver could prolly go into just about anyones truck and figure it out in no time where someone like me or the guy who bought climax is kinda going in blind

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario

I didn't realize your truck was for sale.