Well I guess it's time

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Brian

have you had the heads checked yet? those rods dont look bad enough for the low compression you had??? I probably missed something :(

was a piston cracked?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
images
no-wai001.jpg

F'ing awesome lmao!!!

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Brian

have you had the heads checked yet? those rods dont look bad enough for the low compression you had??? I probably missed something :(

was a piston cracked?

No cracked pistons. Machine shop cleaned and pressure tested the heads, also checked for flatness, heads failed. They are warped and most of the valve seats are leaking. Going to go look at a set of low mileage federal heads tomorrow after work.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
No cracked pistons. Machine shop cleaned and pressure tested the heads, also checked for flatness, heads failed. They are warped and most of the valve seats are leaking. Going to go look at a set of low mileage federal heads tomorrow after work.

its pretty common for valve guides to be gone on the lb7s.

id just get the heads refreshed and add some aftermarket springs if they ar not to warped.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
you honestly sent the pistons off to have guy open the bowl?

you know know any machine shop can do this and on the cheap, to each his own i guess.

also if you need i can get one of my sets of heads refreshed if you cant find a set.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its pretty common for valve guides to be gone on the lb7s.

id just get the heads refreshed and add some aftermarket springs if they ar not to warped.

they claim they are warped .020 and would need a .025 cut to go back flat so valves would need recessing too

you honestly sent the pistons off to have guy open the bowl?

you know know any machine shop can do this and on the cheap, to each his own i guess.

also if you need i can get one of my sets of heads refreshed if you cant find a set.

No one in az would key a damn crank or cam, you think they are competent enough to have any clue what to do with the pistons??? :D

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Nate it wasn't that any machine shop here could do it, it's that they told me "we have never done it, but can do it" I don't need them learning on my pistons. For $400 to have guy do it is cheap insurance to me.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I got really lucky with the shop in east TN, I went there and asked them about it, and they said, oh like these? had a set of cut/coated LB7 pistons sitting there in the shop.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
No one in az would key a damn crank or cam, you think they are competent enough to have any clue what to do with the pistons??? :D

Did you ask them about a woodruff key? If they couldn't do that they shouldn't be in business even. You can do that with a dremel in the garage lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Just went back and read this from the 3/13 posts to current. Sometimes you have to grab an odd bolt here an there on a project but holy crap the guy that worked on this truck was brain dead! unbelievable! Sorry about your luck!

On the bright side, going to be a beast when you get it done! :thumb:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Thanks Russ.

Yeah, I mean I could see a spare bolt here or there, but over half my valve cover bolts either stripped or wrong bolt, fuel return lines wernt even tightened with a proper allen head, missing engine mount bolts, bellhousing and trans mount bolts, im surprised it didn't rattle apart a lot sooner... :roflmao:

Loaded up the Colorado and off to the machine shop tomorrow and going to go look at a set of low mileage heads.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Quick update; dropped everything off at the machine shop that is doing the work. Had a torque plate brought in and said they are going to use it. Everything else was not a problem, they misunderstood me about the keyways, but it's all squared away. Machine shop is a month out, but it's gunna be 120* here soon...

The heads I picked up are going to need 4-5 thousandths removed to make them flat, I'm going ahead and doing a complete valve job on both heads as well. Need to order some valve springs today as well and get them coming. I have two options... Hamilton's that use stock retainers, or Rev dual springs with titanium retainers... and both sets are within $20 of each other... :confused: Or, stay with stockers?

As they sit currently

leheadz_zpsdfd8586f.jpg

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Hamilton springs seem to do really well but its up to you... Definitely get something lol