Well I guess it's time

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Who knows. Maybe the pcv got plugged. If its idling really rough and has a balance rate of +15 in a cylinder then maybe. Need to hook a computer to it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Who knows. Maybe the pcv got plugged. If its idling really rough and has a balance rate of +15 in a cylinder then maybe. Need to hook a computer to it.

Didnt he say he was losing oil? When i cracked a piston on my lly it came out of my crancase vents and covered the truck.

Ive had my crank case vent hose freeze before, but i doubt thats brians issue.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Didnt he say he was losing oil? When i cracked a piston on my lly it came out of my crancase vents and covered the truck.

Ive had my crank case vent hose freeze before, but i doubt thats brians issue.

I don't know how much, all I saw was that it had excessive blow by.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Nah, doesn't loose any oil, if anything it makes some :rofl: Gunna drop the oil oil out tonight and see how much is in there, can smell a hair bit of diesel in it, but paper towel test proves otherwise.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Nah, doesn't loose any oil, if anything it makes some :rofl: Gunna drop the oil oil out tonight and see how much is in there, can smell a hair bit of diesel in it, but paper towel test proves otherwise.

That makes no sense?? You have excessive blow by but are not losing oil??

2 things add oil- 1 is dieslel the other is coolant.

Seems very unlikely that coolant would be the culprit.

Have you done compression test yet?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Your always gunna smell diesel in it lol.

Even with a plugged pcv, it shouldnt puff that much out of the oil tube. Something is on its way out, it just hasnt fully happened yet. I would bet there is a cracked piston that just hasnt fully blowin a hole in it yet OR a compression ring is gone. Thats the only way i can see that kind of pressure comin out of the oil filler

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
If a ring snapped or there was a crack in the piston I think you would feel some rough vibrations. I know mine was awful on a crack. Hope much smoke is blowing out? Could you be exaggerating the amount its blowing out?

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Sorry to hear this Brian! What about a lifted injector cup wouldnt that cause similiar issues and if that is the case you wouldnt need to build the motor?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Hope much smoke is blowing out? Could you be exaggerating the amount its blowing out?

Did you not watch the video? :D

And I never exaggerate... :roflmao:

First and easiest thing, what are your balance rates?

Highest on the stock tune was cylinder 5 @ 5.0. Rest are less than 3.0 at hot idle.

As far as how it drives... normal.. I just got home from dinner, drove it pretty easy and came back, and has a lot of coolant pressure, way more than I ever felt before, only compares to LB7's with pushed cups, so I think I know what part of my issue is. Good news is that summer is coming (was 92* today) and I plan on pulling the engine in May/June, so it can be done before the winter :spit:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
That makes no sense?? You have excessive blow by but are not losing oil??

2 things add oil- 1 is dieslel the other is coolant.

Seems very unlikely that coolant would be the culprit.

Have you done compression test yet?

Correct, I have not lost any oil.

Will be doing a compression test this weekend.

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The LLY we had here that had a cracked piston ran like garbage. I have also seen a hold down bolt break and cause crazy blow by but If i remember right that ran like shit too.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I think so too Andrew. Truck idles fine, Ive driven a cracked piston LMM and it was definitely different.

Have a week left of driving the truck, after that it's getting parked and Ill be ordering the rest of the stuff I need for the other engine and start on that block.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Couldn't you just shut down each injector individually untill the blow by stops? Then you should know which cylinder is unhappy...

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Already did that yesterday on my stock tune while checking the balance rates, smoke continues to puff out while shutting off each injector.