LMM: Weird Vane Positions

Petty Cash

Would ya' look at that!?
Feb 12, 2014
Northwestern Pennsylvania
I just want to see if this makes sense to anyone...

I've been working on a tow tune for my LMM. So far I've gotten my timing and boost tables where I want them and have seen a significant reduction in DPF soot loading and fuel consumption, exactly what I'm after. All was going well until I decided to open the vanes at idle and close them at 0-5mm^3 and 2000+RPM for an exhaust brake. The exhaust brake worked very well, but my vane position was erratic elsewhere.

For example, sitting at idle it'd jump between 5% where I had it set and 30, 80, and even 100% with no apparent rhyme or reason. I then noticed driving around town my vanes were at 90% and I was running 4 PSI of boost. This was way more than it should have been. I looked through the tune and saw nowhere that that much boost or vane position should have been commanded. In fact, most of this erratic behavior was well above the max vane tables.

As an experiment, I built a new tune off my stock tune, changing only timing and desired boost tables. It now commands vane position just as would be suspected based on the vane pos tables and their multipliers.

The only things I did to cause the erratic vane positions was change the 300-800 RPM cells from 0-15mm^3 to 5% and the 2K+ RPM and 0-5mm^3 cells to 99.5%, and of course changed the max tables at 2K+ and 0-5mm^3. No other cells in the vane tables were touched.

Does this make any sense to anyone else? Is this a mystery feature of the 8594 OS, or am I missing something somewhere?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
If you want them open at idle and be consistent, you need to go to the vane maximum and minimum tables and set them accordingly. I do it with the exhaust brake in these tables also.

Petty Cash

Would ya' look at that!?
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a shot.

Edit:
Just tried setting my max vane position at idle (600-800 RPM, 300-800 RPM in the one table, 0-20mm^3) to 10% with desired at 5% and it's still erratic. When coasting to a stop with the converter unlocked, it drops to 5%, then as I slow it'll jump to 30%, and once I come to a complete stop, it ramps up to 95-98%. Shift into park and it stays that high. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a ghost left by the PPE I had on it before, since I've heard of various issues resulting from prior use of a handheld.

Last edited:

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Did you ever get this sorted out? I've seen this before and what I did was get a fresh completely stock tune file with the right OS and redone the tune and seemed to help. I'll have to look back into what all I did because it's been a while but hopefully by now you've gotten it figured out.

Petty Cash

Would ya' look at that!?
Feb 12, 2014
Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I never did get it sorted out. I was thinking I might have to get a fresh tune to work off of. Shortly after that I started having regeneration issues and the truck's been down since waiting to get the DPF cleaned. I'd also found my fuel lines (return only) were rotted through. It should be all repaired by the end of this week though.