Wanting EFI

Murphdog

Sep 19, 2006
I am most likely going to get the EFI Live for my 04' LB7. But I have a few Questions before I do that. First am I able to get two tunes with it, one for better fuel/towing and one that is more of a race? Second I am only going to be putting a new exhaust and an intake on (this is my daily driver) so what type of power can I expect from more of a race tune without jepordizing my Motor or Tranny. I understand whenever adding any mod to an engine you risk damaging components but I will only use the Race mode exactly for that, Racing. Also what are the risks of Limp Mode in my tranny with the EFI. Ok last real question what type of coast are we looking at? I don't think I really need the Comercial version the Personal would be just fine and if I could get a V1 other than the new V2 I also think that would be ok.
Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long list of wants, but hell we all have one.

And before I forget I've noticed on McRat's, Trippins and others Avitars where the Odometer would be they have custom wording or phrases, is that actually possible to do and if so can you do it with the EFI Live Tune?

Thanks again Shawn

Last edited:

brewmax

Aug 6, 2006
if youre not going to upgrade the tranny, and never plan on it--------buy a ppe tuner. efi is more for making big power. you can make big power,mild power, or little power with it. but your stock tranny is only going to be able to handle 90 additional hp. go with a tuner that way you know exactly how many additional hp your getting. theres a very fine line on the hp that a stock tranny will take and wont take. if you go with efi, just be careful, or youll be a foot

hdmax

Mini-Max
Aug 9, 2006
New Lex, Oh
Shawn, the Personal version will not be availible in V-2, and it will be losing EFILive support some time in the not too distant future. At the current sale price of $549 for the Commercial V-1, I'd go that route, then you can upgrade if you ever find the need. Also, if you want two tunes, you will need either the Commercial V-1, or Version-2. (That is if you want switch on the fly.) Otherwise you will have to connect the truck to the computer to switch tunes. (And this can only be done while stopped.)

You really should get gages with any tuning. (I recommend gages for anyone that tows, even a stock truck!)
It is hard to say how much your tranny can/will handle. Some need upgrades with just 80-100 added rwhp, while others get by with twice that much.
I have been running 400+ rwhp for more then 4 year (85,000 miles) with just a limp now and then. With that said, I could distroy my tranny in no time at 400+ rwhp if I drove it like I stole it all the time.

I am most likely going to get the EFI Live for my 04' LB7. But I have a few Questions before I do that. First am I able to get two tunes with it, one for better fuel/towing and one that is more of a race? Second I am only going to be putting a new exhaust and an intake on (this is my daily driver) so what type of power can I expect from more of a race tune without jepordizing my Motor or Tranny. I understand whenever adding any mod to an engine you risk damaging components but I will only use the Race mode exactly for that, Racing. Also what are the risks of Limp Mode in my tranny with the EFI. Ok last real question what type of coast are we looking at? I don't think I really need the Comercial version the Personal would be just fine and if I could get a V1 other than the new V2 I also think that would be ok.
Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long list of wants, but hell we all have one.

And before I forget I've noticed on McRat's, Trippins and others Avitars where the Odometer would be they have custom wording or phrases, is that actually possible to do and if so can you do it with the EFI Live Tune?

Thanks again Shawn

Sean8816

Aug 8, 2006
My PPE only on the 130hp setting would limp my stock tranny...with McRats tune you could probably limp it at half throttle! You gotta get the tranny, it's worth it's weight in gold (and costs about the same). Only intake exhaust and a tow tune huh? I think that's where we all started, but don't worry...I'm sure you won't get sucked in.

Murphdog

Sep 19, 2006
ok so what are the tranny upgrades I would need to do, and what about the PPE i havn't even looked into that. I know it might be hard to just stay with the Exhaust, intake and tuner but I nedd this truck to haul my Chevelle around to drag it.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
So figure you want to run Mcrats tune, exhaust and intake your going to be pushing 500 hp with 1000 lbs of torque. If you live relativly close to Southern California i would hit up Mike L at Inglewood transmission shop (he is the best). Your going to spend $4400-$4600 for a stage IV Mike L transmission that will be able to handle 800 hp and 1500 lbs of torque. The damn thing will be so soild just those things listed above would never cause your tranny to screw up. Say you ran NOS or propane, those two things will cut the life of everything a substantial amout. So you need to make the choice $4500 now on a R&R or $8000 later on a new tranny. Dont skimp on the tranny.

Murphdog

Sep 19, 2006
All I really want is something that is going to give me a good fuel mileage/tow and one that is going to give me some get up and go for the street. I really don't plan on going near as far as some of you guys have gone. i drove in a truck with the Edge juice/Attitude and on the highest setting I was satasified with the power. But I want a program where I can adjust tire size/raise speed and rev limit. i like the EFI Live but from what I have been gathering it may be a little much for me right now. What programs would you guys recomend for what I want. I mostly worry about this Limp Mode I keep hearing about, honestly I really don't know what in the hell it is. This is my first Diesel and First Full Size Truck I m use to my Gas stuff like my 10.5 Sec Chevelle. Oh and by the way I live in a little town in Wyoming called Green River so I really need a truck that can run descent since there are way to many Cummings Around :p

Last edited:

ghost69_98

Sep 22, 2006
I have the banks six gun and havn't had any trouble with the tranny yet. Some people say its over rated, but I was like you and was looking for a reliable tunner. Now I am getting ready to up grade if I can keep it hid from the wife.

hdmax

Mini-Max
Aug 9, 2006
New Lex, Oh
Get the EFILive, and be done. Don't mess with the others! With the help here, and at the diesel place, you will eaily learn how to use EFI. And it does 100's of times as much stuff as the others.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
:yup: ill never look back
disable the egr
set your high idle ( ramp speeds,rpm )
clear codes
log data
make your tune the way you want not the way they like it
tune you tcm
tune your buddys truck