LBZ: Wait to start light question ( Glow Plugs)

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
When you do replace them use the 61G not the 9G glowplugs, Oreillys will push the 9G as they stock it where I live and can bring the 61G's with no shipping, the ACDelco 61G's made in Germany are the best choice. You could buy Bosch glowplugs from Rockauto and get an ACDelco in the box for a few dollars more. I did not feel like dinking with one at time, so all eight were replaced..

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
When you do replace them use the 61G not the 9G glowplugs, Oreillys will push the 9G as they stock it where I live and can bring the 61G's with no shipping, the ACDelco 61G's made in Germany are the best choice. You could buy Bosch glowplugs from Rockauto and get an ACDelco in the box for a few dollars more. I did not feel like dinking with one at time, so all eight were replaced..
Hopefully you can still find them. 61G's are discontinued, and they are selling off leftover stock. When they're gone, they are GONE! 9G's are the replacement glow plug, are made in GERMANY as well, and are what you now have available. The difference is the 61G's were 4.7V, and the 9G are 4.85V(It looks like the LML uses the 9G, so GM just swapped over to the 9G plugs in place of the 61G's). And the info out ther about the 9G's being to short, tips swelling and all the rest are WRONG! The new 9G's are NOT the ones everybody had problems with 20 years ago. GM had a 9G glow plug they used from the late 80's up to 95, yes they had problems with swelling and burning up as they were a non regulated plug, BUT GM DISCONTINUED THEM IN 1995! The misinformation that a quick search of 9G shows is astounding.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Mine was on the CEL and code picked out by my Edge CS. I only replaced the bad one no problems since.
Keep on posting GrayStone I love that avitar LOL

dzimbric

Oct 21, 2015
Shallotte, NC
GP Candy

My CEL picks up on a single failed gp. The dealer replaced all at 110K when 3 failed (one after another while in the shop) at 110K, I replaced #3 again at 150K, four more on the driver side at 160K and my CEL came on again with #3 again.
Luckily I now live in a warmer climate, but my LMM seems to eat them like candy.

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
The other night I noticed something odd when going to start my LBZ. The wait to start light came on and went off like it normally should, but then came back on again and didn't go away until I started the truck. After a few more times now the wait to start light comes on and doesn't shut off. It hasn't been cold at all and the truck always sits in the garage. The truck does start fine quickly without issue. I checked for DTC's with my autocal but no codes come up. Truck only has 36,000 miles but I suppose I have a bad glow plug of bad glow plug controller? I assume a code can be found with something more advanced than an autocal?

I was hoping you wouldnt say its a bad glow plug.. Im having the same issue no CEL.. My truck is from vermont so shes seen alot of salt. Lets just say these glow plugs wont come out without a fight... Anyone care to shed some insight? :banghead:

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I don't think they're terribly hard to replace, just a matter of getting at them. I didn't have the time to do it myself, but I'm sure someone will speak up.

Dmaxbro!

Nice DMax bro!!
Apr 20, 2014
Montreal
I had #3 going about 1 1/2 months ago then 2 weeks later #4 now today I have #8 gone too
One by one they start going. I guess it's time to spray spray spray some magic potion on them run the engine to temp and proceed with removal

Last edited: