Valve springs: Comp Cams vs. SoCal Diesel

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It looks like Comp has two different springs that will work for the Duramax. The 26125 is the heavier spring, and the 26113 is the lighter spring. The 26113 looks to be very close to the same price as the SoCal springs.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It looks like Comp lists the 26113 at 93 lbs of seat pressure and 198 lbs of open pressure. The 26125 is listed at 120 lbs of seat pressure and 275 lbs of open pressure. The heights are different for the different springs, but not by a lot. It should give you a good idea about them anyway.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Seat #'s Depends on the set up hight....I know each .025 set up change can put seat #'s up quite a bit.... But then coil bind plays a big part.

FYI there are only a few spring manufactures in this country. everyone buys from one of them, unless there bought overseas....Which i know some are.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Seat #'s Depends on the set up hight....I know each .025 set up change can put seat #'s up quite a bit.... But then coil bind plays a big part.

That is true. I started to say something about that last night because the two numbers I posted are at different install heights, but since I don't know the install height of those springs in a Duramax, I didn't.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States

FYI there are only a few spring manufactures in this country. everyone buys from one of them, unless there bought overseas....Which i know some are.

This is very true, can not believe the mark up on the set of springs. I have noticed it was 100% mark up on the set I got.

So how can one go about positively identifying the SoCal springs as Comp Cams springs? I'd like to save some money but don't want to screw myself with buying too light of a spring or one that won't work with Comp's seats and retainers.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
So how can one go about positively identifying the SoCal springs as Comp Cams springs? I'd like to save some money but don't want to screw myself with buying too light of a spring or one that won't work with Comp's seats and retainers.

You're asking a near impossible question. They aren't going to give up the part number and why should they?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Guys,

We came out with our Beehive spring kit in 2006, long before Comp had a clue what a Duramax valve spring even looked like. Eventually Comp copied the basic design.

Our Beehive kit consists of springs, retainers and hardened spring cups that protect the head from the additional spring pressure as well as keep the spring centered in line with the valve for stability. You don't have to use the cups, but I tend to overbuild rather than underbuild my products.

I spent a lot of time studying valve train dynamics in my time at AFR and even hold a US patent for a valve train system I invented in 1996.

Our springs are made from very high quality ovate wire. I believe Comps are a round wire. Ovate wire being used in most high end valve springs.
As someone previously posted, there are a only a handful of spring manufacturers, we have these built to our specs exclusively for us.

Spring pressure is 120-125 lbs at 1.580-1.600.

We also offer a 1.300 od non beehive spring kit that has 160 lbs on the seat. But I don't recommend these for street use. They will kill the lifters if used for long term street use.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion and assumptions. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Guy

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
More valve spring thoughts........

Just occurred to me, that the Comp springs are slightly larger in diameter. We have had customers purchase our spring cups for use with their Comp springs and the cups were just a little bit too small.

In the beginning of DMAX Performance, the trend was to use a double spring. It was a Toyota spring and readily available. The problem with the double spring is that you are adding a significant amount of mass to the valve train. So even though you increased the spring pressure, a lot of that pressure is being consumed in trying to control the additional mass of the second spring you just added. Remember, only the bottom coil of the spring remains in contact with the cylinder head. The rest of the coils and retainer travel up and down along with the valve.

That is why I chose the Beehive spring route. I was able to lower the overall mass of the spring and retainer package as well as increase the pressure. The net result is the Beehive does a better job of controlling the valve train with less wear on the lifter, rocker arm and camshaft than a double spring or a higher pressure stock diameter single that uses the stock retainer.

Guy

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I spent some time last night discussing this with a buddy of mine. Glad to see some of this has been cleared up and it makes me feel better about spending the extra dough for genuine SoCal springs!

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
For the RPM 99% of these engines see, the behive is NOT nessisary for valve train control, however will work just fine. Dual springs are used in many forms of racing with drag racing being at the top, high power engines tend to use double of even triple springs for pressure on the seat and over the nose. behives have never had the pressure for high HP engines, high RPM and low seat and nose PSI is where they shine...Like NASCAR, Dirt track, and Baja Racing.

After a little digging I found that according to comp cams, they do use ovate wire for their springs. Here's a link with more info:
http://www.compcams.com/WhatsNew/NewsDetails.aspx?ListHistoryID=-1496105858

Guy, can you please tell us why your valve springs, seats, and retainers are better than comp cams or even Hamilton's springs? Your springs, seats, and retainers together are about $40 more than comp cams. I don't mean to put you on the spot, I'm just curious. I want the best for my build. Thanks.