Valve bridges

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Whats the difference between them? I see multiple number 4 and 2s, a few 1 and 3 etc. Do these have to go back on in a certain order, didn't notice the numbers when they were all oily during dissambly. They all the same though.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Found just alittle more info. There are 3 4's, 3 2's, 1 3, and 1 1 on each head. Also noticed where they sit on the springs, one side of the bridge has a circle and the other is an elipse.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have never paid any attention to any markings on them. I just put them back on the way TeaBagger said. As far as I know, the thing with the holes is to account for any valve stem movement. I'm pretty sure they are all laid out the same (with the circle hole on the same side and the ellipse hole on the same side).

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
But wouldn't matter if the eliptic hole was on the exhaust or intake valve, just as long as they are consistent?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
One bridge goes across the two intake valves and one bridge goes across the two exhaust valves for each cylinder. There will be a circle hole on one of each and an ellipse hole on one of each. Like I said earlier, I think the holes are all in the same position. If you laid the bridges out so they are all bottom side up and all oriented the same way, all the circle holes should be on one side, and all the ellipse holes should be on the other.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
But wouldn't matter if the eliptic hole was on the exhaust or intake valve, just as long as they are consistent?

I don't know why I said this. I know how they bridge the same valves together. I will just be sure to point them in the same directions. I think your right about the elispe being for movement. Was just curious which way they were from the factory.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think they can only go one way. I guess that's what I was getting at in my last post.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Alright cool. I don't even have my heads back yet, just something I noticed when I was cleaning the other night. Got me wondering