Using a 2wd to tow my puller...bad idea???

JakeBrakeIH

Dec 24, 2010
Yaphank, NY
To make a long story short I am in need now of a tow rig. My friend that was going to be towing me to all the events has gotten a job up north and wont be able to tow me. So intern I need to figure out how to get to the pulls lol. Ive been checking craigslist, ebay etc but nothing that pops out. There are a few nice trucks that are in my price range but they happen to be 2wd. Im looking to see if some guys regret towing the trucks to the pulls with a 2wd and may have gotten stuck or cant back up etc. I have a set of ATZ's that would more than likely go on whatever truck I buy but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
I am towing for a living with a 2wd 2500hd. It does get stuck in wet grass, etc. and it didnt snow in RI this year so I dont know how it is in the snow.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I think you should be fine with 2wd. Like you said, just put some nice somewhat aggressive tires on it and always carry a tow strap. Remember, you have a 4x4 with you at all times. You just need to get it off the trailer. :D

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
While I think a 2wd tow vehicle would be fine for the summer months in N.Y., I personally would not buy one living in the north east.. Unless it was a smoking deal, but even then I'm not sure as I use my 4 wheel drive almost weekly even in the summer up here doing what I do.. Whats your budget for a tow rig? I know a couple decent deals locally here that are 4WD's....

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
yeah i have a 2wd and no problems but in az we dont get crazy weather but what everybody said is good advice also pay attention to what ur doing most of the time when people get stuck in 2wd is because they wernt paying attention just from what i have seen

JakeBrakeIH

Dec 24, 2010
Yaphank, NY
I know that a 2wd will get me too and fro no problem. Im a little concerned that maybe at midnight when the pull is over and there is a dew on the long grass we parked on made it slick and Im trying to back up and turn on a slight incline, am I going to be kicking myself in the ass big time?? Im trying to find an 05+ ec or cc pickup under 130k for under $20k. Im still looking and what not but I figure Id see if this could maybe be an option? Or maybe the lack of 4wd would just be too much of an incontinence and Im better off still looking. Unfortunately with the season just starting I dont want to wait around till the end of the season but I guess we will see lol.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Dec 2, 2006
TN
Personally, I would go 4x4. With all that weight behind you I think you'll find you need it more than you don't. As we all know, all of these sled pulls are in the dirt, grass, mud, etc.. Never nice pavement parking.

Search Autotrader.com is a good place to start.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Mines a 2wd and all I do is tow with it. And an occasional nap in the back seat

Isn't your puller a 4wd? If grass is muddy or wet, move to better ground. If you get stuck pull yourself out.

Last edited:

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Like said as long as you're smart about where you park and load, with a functioning locker you shouldn't have any problem. If you're worried then park somewhere safe.

I have a 2wd truck, and a 4x4. I'm always very careful what kind of situations I get into with the 2wd and it has never gotten me stuck. Just have to think of things like parking facing downhill and what the weather is going to do. Just being slightly more attentive to things is all you need. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2wd for a dedicated tow vehicle.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
As far as towing is concerned, you would be just fine with the 2wd. The only part of concern that I can't see is if you don't put a wench on the trailer to pull your puller on if it breaks. I think that there would be so few times that you would need 4wd, if ever ... IMO

I like tacos.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
when i was runing my 2wd as a puller i never had a problem with 1500-2000lb in the bed.. even in 2" deep mud with good AT tires
if you load the trailer tail heavy(like most do) i can see you having a problem in 2wd. good tires at/mt with 3500lb in the bed.. will get you through a decent amount.

i wouldnt think twice about picking up a 2wd

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
Dad's 6.0 is 2 wheel and with a good set of mud grips it gets around almost as well as my 4wd Duramax. It handled a loaded 26 foot stock trailer in some pretty deep mud. You can always get a set of tire chains if it gets real bad. We used to feed with 2wd and tire chains. the truck got around as well as my uncle's 4wds