Used truck market at standstill??

blueshift

Jan 29, 2024
Raleigh
All I know is I had a relatively clean, lowish mile (60k) 02 Camaro SS I listed on facebook marketplace a couple of weeks ago, and it sold in 5 hours. Then I listed a set of Weld wheels I took off the car the buyer didn't want (or didn't want to pay for anyway), and they sold almost as fast. Things are definitely slowing down, but I wouldn't say the market is dead by any means.

Yea, the sky definitely isn't falling, and things are still pretty hot for sure (especially compared to pre-2020). Just saying that, for the first time in several years, prices are noticeably declining on used cars and discretionary 'toys'.

Because I'm a nerd, I just took a look at the 'official' used car data from the Fed. Prices are ~20% off their early-2022 peak, but still ~20% higher than early 2020. The overall trend is still decreasing, though not quite as much as it was 6-12 months ago.

I deleted the listing earlier today, I'll wait till after the elections and then post it back up

Personal opinion, but I think it's pretty unlikely that the result of the election will swing the used vehicle market one way or another. And politics aside, used vehicle prices are probably going to continue declining, at least somewhat, due to broader economic forces.

On diesel truck prices specifically, there's two giant headwinds facing them: EPA's crackdown on aftermarket tuning, and the dramatic improvement in gas engine technology / performance. I love my LB7, but if anything ever happens to it, there's 0 chance I'd buy another diesel when there's as many good gas options as there is today.

Lots of other people are starting to feel the same way, which is going to push prices down.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
2025 models be hitting the lots in under 30 days. Typically this is time when dealers are cutting prices and offering best deals to move the previous year models off the lot. Next up, we're closing in on the holiday season, when nobody is ever new car shopping. Unless you believe in those red Mercedes Benz Santa ads.. Believe that is only time they ever sell a Red car.. That market slow usually holds tight until about early March when tax refunds start arriving. Then everyone has a down payment in hand, and the process starts all over again.

blueshift

Jan 29, 2024
Raleigh
I get what you’re saying about the gas jobs but they can not compete with 1000# of torque under load.

Of course that's true, but most folks don't need that. Modern gas trucks easily handle 8k-9k. Since that's more than the vast majority will ever tow, why bother with the extra upfront cost and maintenance nightmare dealing with the EPA BS?

That general sentiment is substantially more prevalent now than it was 10-15 years ago (when gas motors were turds). I know lots of people that have moved on from older diesels into newer gas motors, and 100% of them are very happy they did. That trend is going to push the prices down on used diesels (especially older ones). That's all I'm trying to say.

I just did a 4500-mile road trip in a Chevy 6.2 with a 9k pound toy hauler, which pretty well solidified my opinion that I'll never buy another diesel. It yanked that trailer up and down 7% grades at 10k+ feet with no issues. For towing loads that size, I simply don't need the big torque of the diesel when I have 400+ horsepower and a good transmission, and I'm definitely not willing to deal with the emissions hassle.

Reactions: Hoser

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
@blueshift 400hp is the new 300hp is the new 200hp for gas, I'm still running around in a 310hp LQ4, pending weight and air drag, I MAY keep up with traffic,
If/when I rebuild it will be ~450-475 when I'm done,
I agree 70% of diesel owners probably never tow anything more than the truck itself weighs and 80-90% of the remaining 30% doesn't come close to 3/4 it's rated capacity towing