Upgrade time!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
OK, official pre-build numbers are in! 425.0 HP and 748.4 ft-lb of torque.
garage_attachment.php

The stock run (right after this run) put down 250.4 HP and a spike of 509.8 ft-lb (nearly the entire stock run was 450-460 ft-lb).

Looking forward to getting the parts installed, and seeing how much I pick up.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
With a duel fueler you could triple HP and get two and a half times your torque number. The power is fun but aggravating at the same time because you can't really put it to the ground on the street.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
With a duel fueler you could triple HP and get two and a half times your torque number. The power is fun but aggravating at the same time because you can't really put it to the ground on the street.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My rods would hate me if I did that. Long term (and I do mean looooonng term) I want to build the internals then twin over the S371, and get a stroker pump (no room for a dual fueler). But that will be a while.

I will stick with the stock CP3 for now, as that is probably all my rods will take anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
OK, long overdue on this update, so I'll start with photos!

The S371, and a Honda 50 that wishes it was man enough:
01-IMG_20120720_151907.jpg

Though that 50 actually has a Chinese 125cc motor on it, so compared to other 50's, it is pretty sweet. It'll wheelie 4th with my fat butt on it.

The parts that are going on:
02-IMG_20120720_153145.jpg

The old turbo:
03-IMG_20120721_165741.jpg

We couldn't for the life of us get the down-pipe bolts off. Because of that, we couldn't get the up-pipe bolts off. After spending over 4 hours with no success, we decided that, since all those pipes were getting replaced anyway, a little more force was in order. Our friend the plasma torch convinced the pipes to go their separate ways, and the turbo came right out :roflmao:
Also, that stupid factory turbo is heavy and much bigger than I expected. Not in a good way, either.

While I had everything out, I wanted to replace the crap factory insulation (which is rumored to catch fire):
04-IMG_20120721_165804.jpg
05-IMG_20120722_093832.jpg

Much better looking, and should be quieter and cooler too. I used AudioTechnix 60mil sound deadener, which is rated for the temp we'll be seeing (in theory).

Next up we did the injectors and head studs:
06-IMG_2439.jpg

Injectors are 60% over tips on brand new bodies, and ARP headstuds.
Not pictured: driver's side LML manifold.

Lifts make life so much easier:
07-IMG_2442.jpg

Don't know how we lived without it.

New fuel return line routing:
09-0725121623.jpg

After installing the high-flow Y-bridge, the factory return didn't fit on the FPRV. This was our solution.

Here is our current holdup:
10-IMG_2493.jpg

The cold-side intercooler tube was made wrong. Trent is redoing it currently, but I am anxious to hear the truck run. Patience, I guess...

The turbo in its new home:
11-IMG_2499.jpg

Exhaust blankets are installed on all the exhaust piping (up-pipes, turbo, and down-pipe).

Since I ordered about 4x more sound deadener than I needed, we decided to do the hood too:
12-0726121515.jpg
14-0726121530.jpg

I left the factory insulation on top here because it was in good shape, and you can never have too quiet of a truck.

So that is it for now, until Trent gets the fixed tube back to me. I'll update once it is running and report on how everything went!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Thanks for the kind words everyone! You're right, I am overdue for an update. Got busy with work and it slipped my mind. So here goes, and it's a bit long (you're warned)!

The turbo blanket (think that's what you're referring to) was made by Levi of Turbo Performance Products (he's a vender here). I got a whole bunch of exhaust blankets from him, and they all were very well made, and shipped in no time flat! I'll buy again as soon as I think of an excuse to get more.

So, I got the new cold-side IC tube in. Shiny! Had to modify the heater lines though:
0820121347.jpg
0820121518.jpg

Not to worry, heater lines are easy to cut.

Once everything was fitted, my truck was thirsty:
0824121120.jpg

Left to right: ATF to replace what drained out during the swap to a LML (driver's side) dipstick tube, new coolant, motor oil, and distilled water to mix with the coolant.

Got it all installed:
DSC05486.JPG

Yes, that is the PCV running over the intake. Don't hate, lol. The factory PCV doesn't go to the intake, and I've never had any problems with it, so I left it functional.

Started getting the WOT tuning dialed in a bit, and blew various intercooler boots off. All in all, blew 5 boots. After tightening the clamps to the point of insanity, it held together.
Of cousre, it then found the next weakest link, and launched my boost sensor right off the hose several times. Ended up having to get the swege-on (perminent) type clamp before it held on.
Then, the truck started hosing fuel out the return lines. If I turn on the lift pump (engine off) it would leak past the hose clamps. Seems weird that the return lines would be pressurized that much without the truck even running. :confused: Better hose clamps solved the problem, but now I'm wondering how much pressure is normal for the return lines. Oh well, it builds/holds rail fine, so I'll see what happens.

So how's it run? Well, despite a "race weight" of 8,200+ lbs, it got me this:
DSC05491.JPG

:woott:

What you've been waiting for:
Time%2520Slip%25201.jpg

Why only 14's? Well, first, I was running in 2 wheel drive, and I suck at launching in 2 wheel drive. I'll get better, I promise!
Next, my CP3 has 285,000 miles on it, and I think it's tapped out.
Finally, the track wouldn't let me run faster than a 14.0 without a new helmet, so I didn't try too hard to go faster than that. I'll give it a better shot next time.

Daily driving isn't bad at all with this turbo. It spools up a hair slower than stock (I had to raise my shift points back up to stock). After resetting my shift points, I don't ever notice it unless I'm on the lower end of 5th, and roll the throttle on. It'll smoke for a bit longer than the stocker before it lights, but once it does, I think it provides more air down low (1800 RPM). I've yet to hook up to a real load and see how it tows, but I don't think I'll have to change the shift points at all from what I've seen so far.

Also worth note, now that I've got a bit over 1,000 miles on my Industrial Injection 60% over injectors: they seem to be doing well. Balance rates were +/- 4 on 3 of them on the first start, but they've all settled down to +/- 2 or better now, and are getting better every day. Time will tell how long they last, but I'm happy so far. They're not too hard to tune, either, and I've never tuned bigger than stock injectors before.

The sound of the turbo is very nice, and not overpowering. You can hear it in the cab over the engine, but only a little. (That is exactly what I wanted, and why I used so much sound deadening mat underhood.) It is not a whine or screech sound like the Ford turbo, but more of a soft hiss with a lot of woosh to go with it. Hard to describe. You can tell it is moving a LOT of air! I could listen to the sounds all day, not something that will get on my nerves at the end of a 12-hour trip.

I am also pleased with the DiamondEye 4" exhaust. I went with the "QuietTone" front pipe and am running their muffler. There is no drone at all in the cab. In fact, below 50% throttle, you don't hear the exhaust at all, even listening for it. From 50% to 75% throttle you can hear it a bit. I wouldn't say it is much louder than stock. Towing should be pleasant enough. From 75% to WOT, it starts to sound nice and even a bit angry. It gets a healthy bark, and you can hear it easily (even more so outside the truck). It will turn heads at high throttle (or maybe its the tires squealing :confused: :D:D).

Overall, I am extremely happy with the build so far. I hit my goals exactly:
  1. Virtually stock appearing when driving down the road (not a cop magnet)
  2. Quiet enough for a 12-hour trip without getting annoyed
  3. 100 MPH in the quarter! (fast enough for me, for now)
  4. Sounds good when I step on it

Oh, and the mileage: it's a bit early to tell for sure (only filed it twice), but it seems to be doing well. First fill was 650 miles of highway and mountains (from CA to ID). Got 18.1 MPG, hand calculated. Most of the trip was above 70 MPH, often 80 MPH. Next fill was 250 miles of screwing around (including the drag racing) and tuning. I was NOT easy on the throttle at all. Got 14.3 MPG, which isn't bad for how I drove it.

If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks!
~David

P.S. I won't be back at the dyno for a while. Probably this winter. I want to use the same dyno to get a more meaningful before/after. If you guys want to make power guesses, I'll declare a winner once I get the actual numbers.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Glad to see you got everything all together, complete, and it turned out the way you wanted it to.
Everything looks great and enjoy all your hard work.

I'm still trying to figure out what direction I'm wanting to go :eek:

Yellowchevy

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Busted out my soldering iron this weekend, and put this together:
DSC05502.JPG

That is a RoadRunner in a LB7 Duramax ECU! So now I can real-time tune my truck. :woott:

IMG_20120916_140348.jpg

Why yes, that is a USB cable coming out of my center console! (It has had that stupid hole there since I bought it, but now the hole has a purpose.)

After using this for less than an hour, I managed to reduce idle fuel consumption an additional 14% (it was already way down from stock due to prior tuning), and dial in pilot injection timing up to 2000 RPM. I am amazed at how much fuel consumption changes (and how little the sound/noise changes) by varying pilot timing. Pilot timing is one of those things that is very difficult to tune properly without an emulator, but trivial with one! Can't wait to continue messing with this. I've saved days of tuning so far.

I would post up my altered pilot timing table, but I suspect it won't help most people, as I have 60% over injectors, which I am sure changes things. Then again, if anyone wants it, I could post it.

Verdict: if you have a LB7, and you do your own tuning, you need one of these!