LB7: Unknown sensor vacuum/pressure

kcabbie

Jun 6, 2012
Cleveland Texas
Just replaced a injector/cup and fixed a coolant issue I have had for the last year. Balance rates look good, +/- less than 3. Rail pressure is about 5psi below 5k.

I am experiencing what seems like bad fuel mileage. On my stock tune the truck will blow some black smoke if I put my foot into it above 2k rpm. Not like its rollin coal or anything, but a good haze. Great power.

I am attatching a pic of the sensor that I have in question. I have looked for the hose that should be hooked up but no luck. The sensor is placed on a bracket. Maybe if someone know exactly where the bracket bolts to the engine(valve cover?) It would help locating the hose.

There is a chance this was never hooked up. Can't be certain though, been a month since i pulled it all apart.

Hopefully someone knows right off the bat what the sensor is.

No fuel in oil, and no leaks on the top. I have calculated 15.5 MPG assuming the last time i filled up was to a full tank. Usual mpg was 20+.

Any info is appreciated,

Kasey

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0530.jpg
    IMAG0530.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 48
  • mail.google.com.jpg
    mail.google.com.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 41

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I agree. Looks like the baro sensor. Should be mounted to the driver side valve cover under the intercooler tube and coolant tube.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That bracket is what the engine bale connectors attach to so they aren't just flopping around on top of the engine. There is no hose that connects to the sensor.

kcabbie

Jun 6, 2012
Cleveland Texas
Thanks for the responses guys. I will put that bracket where it belongs tomorrow and hook the other two plugs to it.

I know my pics are bad, and I will try to get better ones tomorrow, but are you sure no hose hooks up to the back of it? What's the point of having a sensor that senses nothing?

Please inform me!! :)

Thanks again guys

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It senses barometric pressure, and yes, I'm sure no hoses hook up to it.

kcabbie

Jun 6, 2012
Cleveland Texas
It senses barometric pressure, and yes, I'm sure no hoses hook up to it.

Alrighty, thanks for the info man.

Any idea what else to check for lower fuel mileage after injector swap. I only touched one injector.

Checked for fuel in oil and fuel leaking from the four lines at both ends. Balance rates are also looking good.

This leads me to believe it is not a issue with to much/less fuel. Am I right in this? Am I just looking at my new MPG numbers from here on out?

If it is of any relevance, on the stock tune my truck will blow a good haze of black smoke under heavy acceleration.

Thanks again

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Consider installing the new screw in injector cups for the LB7 they are the fix for the stock junk that holds the injectors. Article in Diesel Power just out has them in the latest edition. FYI so you can consider what's been made now to fix this issue for owners of the LB7 leakers.

kcabbie

Jun 6, 2012
Cleveland Texas
Thanks for the info.

If I spend that much time/effort/money on the engine I would just do the swap and get rid of the LB7. My lifted cup was the effect of a careless technician who did not install it the correct way.