LBZ: Turn signals steady on. Why?

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
When I turn on my right side turn signals the front, rear and mirror bulbs all blink like they should but when i turn on the left side they blink once and all three, the front rear & mirror stay on steady. When I hit the flasher button all six flash once and then remain on steady.

wondering whats causing this. not getting hyper flash cuz the bulbs are staying on so i know its not a bad bulb. Could it be a relay?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
They are both part of the same switch. If everything else (sockets, fuses, wiring and bulbs) have checked out, then thats it.

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
I had this exact same issue. Turned out to be the Multi-function relay under the dash by the left knee bolster. Replaced it and everything works great. This relay controls hazards, left signal, right signal and stop lights. Dealer usually wants about $75 for it. Got mine at Napa for about $38. But the Stock one is much quieter.

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I first thought it could have been my blinker fluid but I usually mix a little antifreeze with the blinker fluid and use a eye dropper cuz it gets cold up here & never have a problem. I recently replaced the factory bulbs with the newer style bulbs that use a gel-style of fluid that supposedly won't freeze in colder temperatures, im gonna get the gel tomorrow and try it, it comes with a syringe to make it easier to service too

Last edited:

heymccall

Aug 24, 2009
To the OP, you'll need to replace the LM455 flasher module.

A search of "LM455" should even get you to replacement instructions.

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Also, do not rule out the trailer wiring on your truck.

jc

Think it may have been the brake controler. I went out this morning and all the turn signals worked fine but the brake controller light was flashing then went steady even with the key off so I pulled it from the fuse block. Hopefully it was just a faulty brake controller but we'll see, if the problem comes back.

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Well no luck still. Just when I think I have it fig'd out I get thrown another curve ball. Now I think I may have a short in the column. With the steering when centered I get one flash then steady on. If I have it turned slightly left or right everything works as needed. I know the turn signal assembly is a sealed unit but is there a way to test it? I don't have access to a known good one & I don't wanna dish out $160 for a new assembly that I won't be able to return if it's not the problem.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I would still be looking at the flasher module/relay like what heymccall said. Really the only thing you can test on the multifunction switch is if the switch is sending twelve volts out to the flasher module/relay. The multifunction switch on your truck is just basically an on-off switch. They're not nearly as complex as the older style switches.