turbo replacement

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Hopefully yellowchevy comes in and gives his advice on how to do it the quickest way.. But anyways, remove the intake, remove the turbo horn(mouthpiece) loosen the 2 up-pipes, loosen the exhaust band clamp, loosen the 4 bolts and 2 nuts on the down pipe, unbolt the coolant feed and turbo feed and drain on the turbo, unbolt the 3 (i think) bolts holding the turbo to the engine block, remove turbo (its heavy) I think thats it

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Flex head ratchet. You'll be glad you did.

Haha the bolts on Russ' turbo loosen themselves when he opens the hood

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Martinfan

Jun 5, 2015
thanks for the help and yes in my dreams bolts loosen themselves. I live in rust belt we like to salt a lot help keep truck in good shape ha ha

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Flex head ratchet. You'll be glad you did.

Haha the bolts on Russ' turbo loosen themselves when he opens the hood

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm to the point where I can loosen them with my mind like Luke Skywalker!!!:roflmao:

Read through Vinny's thread, good stuff in here:thumb::thumb:
LB7 Turbo Removal

As others have said, flex head ratchets will be your friend!! I've got a match 1/2" and 3/8" myself. It makes life SO much easier!!
A top side creeper will also make the turbo removal much easier. Page 6; Post #88.
Buy some cheap metric wrenches from home depot so you can cut them up. Get a can of loctite freeze & release. Its saved my butt more than once.
I'd also start taking it apart while the pickup is still warm, I've had better luck that way.

You'll have to remove the passenger side up pipe so you can get to the drain line or reach underneath the cartridge to remove the 2 bolts right from the turbo. You'll want to drain a few gallons of water or take some vise grips to clamp the coolant lines so they don't leak everywhere.

I could go on for a few pages but these are the main ones, look through the thread I posted, that will help a lot.

Good Luck!!
Yellowchevy

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I found this topside creeper with the I-beam works well, chose it over the H-beam type which would limit movement around the front wheel and height adjustable for the lifted trucks. Bought it shortly after I purchased the truck and recently installed a downpipe and what a body saver...:thumb:

Traxion
=
=
m98to1.jpg

=
=
r9q2bs.jpg

=
=
=
25hfzi1.jpg

=
=
=
=

Last edited:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I found this topside creeper with the I-beam works well, chose it over the H-beam type which would limit movement around the front wheel and height adjustable for the lifted trucks. Bought it shortly after I purchased the truck and recently installed a downpipe and what a body saver...:thumb:

Traxion
=
=
m98to1.jpg

=
=
r9q2bs.jpg

=
=
=
25hfzi1.jpg

=
=
=
=

Man I wish I had that when I did mine it has been 5 months and I still have bruises on my chest and belly LOL

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
^^^Do it for a living and you won't have a weak chest :poke:. I lay on all kinda of pointy objects, you just get over it after a while haha

Put the hood in work mode too makes life a hell of a lot easier.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I don't like those topside creepers. All the blood rushes to my head and I get a headache. I keep a retired heavy carhartt coat for jobs that involve laying across the engine. It cushions pointy objects just enough. I also slide my cart in behind me for a foot rest.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
It was definitely a real PITA the first time I did it. I'm convinced it's easier to just pull the engine if you have the means to do so.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
^^^Do it for a living and you won't have a weak chest :poke:. I lay on all kinda of pointy objects, you just get over it after a while haha

Put the hood in work mode too makes life a hell of a lot easier.
:2birds::roflmao: