Turbo questions and Oil leak ??

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So, I am having a hard time finding the bolts that hold the turbo down. I am tracking there are 4 but where the heck are they located?? I also have an oil leak coming from a housing just below my EGR cooler where the up pipe connects. The housing has 2 14mm bolts that go into it and just noticed it dripping oil, any ideas? Thanks

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
The turbo has 3 17mm bolts holding it down. You also have to remove the 2 nuts that bolt the oil return from turbos to the rear adapter housing behind the turbo. There are 2 bolts that hold the turbo down on the driver's side. 1 is between the compressor and exhaust housing, one is behind the exhaust housing. The one on the passenger side is in in-between the compressor and exhaust housing.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
The turbo has 3 17mm bolts holding it down. You also have to remove the 2 nuts that bolt the oil return from turbos to the rear adapter housing behind the turbo. There are 2 bolts that hold the turbo down on the driver's side. 1 is between the compressor and exhaust housing, one is behind the exhaust housing. The one on the passenger side is in in-between the compressor and exhaust housing.

Thanks man for the info, I am about to take off the coolant hose and un-bolt the oil feed line and try to find the two oil return bolts as you stated. Did you pull the drivers side up pipe all the way out of just unbolt it from the back of the turbo and slide the new one in? I'm having a hell of a time getting to the lower inside bolt that attached the up pipe to the exhaust manifold due to the stupid heatshield and looks like fuel lines. I'm hoping to just get by without having to completely remove the drivers side uppipe altogether?? I am having a hard time with which direction the gaskets go on, especially the EGR gasket. I'm a noob, so any additional tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Last edited:

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Driver side up pipe needs to be removed completely to get the turbo drain.

If you glue the up pipe gaskets on to the turbo it will make your life a lot easier when re-installing. Also the one on the driver side up pipe.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
The driver's side up pipe does need to unbolted, but can stay back there out of the way. Once you get the pipes out of the way, directly behind the turbo is 2 12mm nuts that hold the oil return tube to the adapter housing

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Also, the up pipe gaskets on the turbo fit correctly one way and almost fit correctly the wrong way lol. The rivet that holds the layers together will end up in between the other up pipe if you out them on the wrong way

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Also, the up pipe gaskets on the turbo fit correctly one way and almost fit correctly the wrong way lol. The rivet that holds the layers together will end up in between the other up pipe if you out them on the wrong way
Thanks yall for the info. How the hell did you get the heat shield out of the way ? I have it unbolt ed and loose, but can't for the life of me get it out of the way completely. Is there a trick to get the driversside uppipe to manifold bolt on the engine side loose? I'm losing my mind on these dang bolts!

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

Rick at ProFab has a one piece gasket to avoid that, read about few single gaskets installed incorrectly and they don't run very well.

Elgavilan

Desert Rat
Aug 28, 2016
Arizona
Go at that bolt from the passenger side wheel well. A swivel head ratchet or a breaker bar with the 12 point 12mm socket works best. Pry back the drivers side heat shield by jamming a medium sized screw driver between the heat shield and the up pipe to get room for the socket. You kind of have to get the socket on the bolt by feel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Air chisel works on the heat shield. Just cut it right in half and toss in the trash. Vice grips work also, get a bite and start pulling the shield will bend and deform its way out. The pedestal bolt on front drivers side is a pain, need narrow extensions socket.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Thanks yall for the info. How the hell did you get the heat shield out of the way ? I have it unbolt ed and loose, but can't for the life of me get it out of the way completely. Is there a trick to get the driversside uppipe to manifold bolt on the engine side loose? I'm losing my mind on these dang bolts!

Use a boxed end wrench. If I recall correctly there isn't room for a ratchet. Just loosen the drivers side up pipe to manifold bolts, you can move the pipe far enough back that the oil return line will clear.

As for the up pipe to turbo bolts, use a swivel head ratchet and cheater pipe. You may need an extension for one of the bolts. It also helps to have a hand come in from the top and hold the ratchet straight. You don't want to round one off, that would be a nightmare.

Put gloves on and pull like hell, use a hammer on the wrench, whatever it takes to break them loose.