LB7: turbo options

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
since it looks like i have to disconnect the uppipes would it be worth it to wrap them or anything while they are out? sorry for all the questions just makin sure i cover everything when i do it

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
now that i think of it i think it is 4 at the flange and turns to 5in
You should be good to go then:thumb:you will need to soak the heat wrap in water and wrap the down pipe,also its very tight like almost paper tight inbetween the down pipe and uppipe i wraped around that area,i installed the down pipe marked where the uppipe crossed it and and marked the existing exhaust with a sharpie where i was going to need to cut it ( the exit of the down pippe was along side of the exisisting exhaust) Then removed the down pipe and wraped it and cut the exhaust.

Oh your going to have to grind the steel spacer for the turbo drain line on 1 side for some clearance also.

Very inportant make sure the oil feed line is the last thing you do, hook it onto the top of the turbo pour a little oil in there before you fire it up.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
since it looks like i have to disconnect the uppipes would it be worth it to wrap them or anything while they are out? sorry for all the questions just makin sure i cover everything when i do it
Can if you want it keeps more heat in the turbo which seams to be a good thing,we made 3 back to back runs with my truck at the end of the day and i know its twin vs a single but the more heat the faster the truck ran.You dont have to take the uppipes off the manifolds just off the turbo but if your gonna wrap them then yes they need to come off. oh btw your going to need a 12 mm 12 point to brake the uppipe bolts loose and i suggest a 1/2 inch flex head ratchet.3/8ths probably not going to get it.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Good choice, I really like my II 366; with my up dated tuning I don't have any turbo lag compared to running my IHI. Henry's also a great guy to work with. I'm so indecisive I didn't decide on the turbo in a very timely manner. Henry did a great job getting my turbo completed and mailed to me before I had to travel back to work. :hug::hug:

I will agree 100% a 3/8 and 1/2 flex head ratchet, it will make your life MUCH easier. Ratcheting wrenches, stubby, long, and flex head one are also handy as hell. A top side creeper is also a MUST!!!!; I made one just for this task.
You'll need a long extension to remove/install the turbo base/pedestal.

The directions say to not you teflon tape or paste but I would definitely use some, not a ton so it doesn't go into your oil but some to help seal it. Also make sure you get the fitting connected to the check valve good and tight other wise they'll leak, it sucks tightening them up after the fact :D.
You'll also spend a good amount of time figuring out where you want to run your oil supply line, I did anyway. It would have been easier if it had straight end fitting instead of 30deg off sets.

As for the exhaust I have a bully dog system and was lucky enough to just remove the front pipe of the exhaust that bolts to the factory down pipe, followed by bolting the BD down pipe up. I was really happy I didn't have to cut my exhaust, especially being I had been up for 18 hrs by that point :mad::mad:.

Being you're going to be installing a new turbo I would hands down get a turbo, up pipes, and down pipe blankets from Levi; one of the best people you'll talk to, plus his customer service and shipping/speed are unbelievable.
I ordered a turbo and up pipe blankets before lunch and he already had them in the mail followed by a tracking number by 3 - 4pm. I still haven't had the time to install my up pipe and turbo blanket but they look great; I'm thinking I'll end up with a down pipe blanket this year.

Scott also has some good information he posted :hug:

Yellowchevy

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
another thing will it need to be retuned b4 i drive it i plan on getting new tunes once its installed but they wont be right away and i car pool so i only drive it everyother week

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
The tip werent the problem putting in the sdame amout of fuel for the IHI was.The new turbo was putting in a fair amount of extra air making the egts higher.Just becareful and keep and eye on the egts is all im saying,you should be fine.