LBZ: Tuner Qestion EFI/PPE (help)

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Getting my SC Stg V on Friday and a new Tuner. I was set on the PPE Hot+2 ET Eliminator but I have read so much here about EFI Live, I do eventually (in the next 12-14 months) want to do head studs and a Fleece 71mm but I am worried about the difficulty setting it up right now, this is my daily driver, I understand building tunes is a science and an art, and I have no training is such matters. Also is the "on the fly" ready? My question I guess is will it be hard to build tunes, I do not have access to a dyno or much time I work a pretty heavy schedule, I would like at least 3-4 tunes, economy (I put on 50-60k miles/year) Tow (Nothing big 6500lbs), Performance(Regular street), Race (450+ HP) Thanks in advance I know this vs thing has been beaten to death.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2009
Sacramento, CA
You really can't go wrong with EFI. Most vendors include a couple tunes with your purchase. Some I believe if you buy the dsp5 switch with it will include a dsp5 tune. I would call and talk to Pat and Mcratracing.com and Guy at socaldiesel.com:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Salt Flats Ray

Aug 21, 2008
Citrus Heights, Ca.
EFI or PPE Hot+2

I do not have a lap top computer so I choose the PPE tuner. I have seven
tunes ranging from economy to more power than I would expect. Using
power level 7 I was surprised with a 12.88 second 113 MPH ET at Sac
Raceway October 7, 2009. Using TWD the 60" time was slow at 2.23
Seconds.

The LBZ engine also has a PPE installed GT4094 turbo and twin CP3's.

Brian1

Jan 1, 2008
I would go EFILive now with the future mods you plan. You be able to get it dyno in and tune to work with the non stock items you will add to the truck.

Brian

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The PPE Hot+2 tuners are very strong, and have won a lot of races and sledpulls. EFILive is a tuning and datalogging suite, and with that, you can dial in YOUR truck to it's maximum potential.

I sell both, and they are similiar in price. With EFILive I write a custom tune for your truck included in the sale.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
The PPE Hot+2 tuners are very strong, and have won a lot of races and sledpulls. EFILive is a tuning and datalogging suite, and with that, you can dial in YOUR truck to it's maximum potential.

I sell both, and they are similiar in price. With EFILive I write a custom tune for your truck included in the sale.

What are extra tunes worth, as I said, I would like to have at least 4 available. Also are either or both adjustable on the fly? Thanks.

How would the PPE perform/hold back a turbo upgrade?

Last edited:

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
EFILive now supports Shift-on-the-Fly for your truck, called DSP2 and DSP5. I'm in the process of testing my 5-power switchable tunes on Wendy.

Thanks, PM me with a price on EFI live, DSP5 and the 5 tunes please. Thanks. Then I'll have plenty of time to learn while I save up for that Fleece :)

Brian1

Jan 1, 2008
PPE is designed can tuner on stock items unless you contact them an have them build tunes for a non stock turbo you may not getting the best performance possible. Yes your best bet be EFILive and DSP5 switch. I have it on my LMM and is working great. He has done many LBZ already. mines first LMM for him.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have been running the PPE for a while now and I have been happy with it. I originally went with PPE over EFI because I didn't have alot of time to mess with the truck. With that being said, I have decided to give EFI Live a shot, it's on it's way. :D

Last edited:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I sold my PPE HOT+2 ET last week and got EFI. I know nothing about tuning so I got someone local to fix me up. He installed the dsp5 switch and loaded 5 tunes, a smoke tune, 2 towing tunes, a 450 rwhp tune and a 530 hp race tune. So far I'm very satisfied with the setup. My race 450 tune feels stronger than PPE level 6 did and the race tune is insane. I ran the PPE for 3 years and was very satisfied with it. Although it's not as strong as the EFI tunes I now have the driveability and manners of the PPE tunes are second to none. They seem to be somewhat conservative and very driver friendly but make no mistake the HOT tunes will turn your truck into a missle.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You will be dollars ahead to go with EFI Live. Each pre-canned tuner has it own set of quirks that just don't satisfy everyones desires. With EFI Live you can make it smoother than stock and as powerful as possible.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Every engine is different in what it wants for a tune, throw in some aftermarket parts and you can understand why a tune on one truck will add 150HP and on a similiar truck it will 200+HP. EFILIVE is the only way to go in my opinion. The learning curve isn't as bad as you might think if you can luck out and get somebody to explain it to you. Once you get it you can have it all. My BURB drives better than stock up to half throttle, and beyond half she is REALLY fun. I've looked at the tunes from a few boxed tuners and they really didn't impress me much for what they changed in them.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I sold my PPE HOT+2 ET last week and got EFI. I know nothing about tuning so I got someone local to fix me up. He installed the dsp5 switch and loaded 5 tunes, a smoke tune, 2 towing tunes, a 450 rwhp tune and a 530 hp race tune. So far I'm very satisfied with the setup. My race 450 tune feels stronger than PPE level 6 did and the race tune is insane. I ran the PPE for 3 years and was very satisfied with it. Although it's not as strong as the EFI tunes I now have the driveability and manners of the PPE tunes are second to none. They seem to be somewhat conservative and very driver friendly but make no mistake the HOT tunes will turn your truck into a missle.

Glad you are so happy with the setup - BTW I am a paying vendor here so you can mention me without being yelled at.:thumb:

EFI Live DSP5 tuning on LBZs has been going very well for me and is switch on the fly. With PPE you have to tell that Mustang to wait for you while you shut down the truck, plug in, download the tune you want to run, then start the truck up and embarrass the Mustang owner. With EFI Live you turn the knob and go, then turn it right back to your tow tune. I think everyone else has covered the other reasons to buy EFI Live - mainly you will never outgrow it, as you can see in my motor's description in my sig it is in no way close to stock and is a pretty unique combination of parts that I doubt PPE has ever attempted to tune for. Because I use EFI and can write and modify my own tunes I got it tuned in fairly well very quickly. You also don't have to worry about spending SO MUCH dyno time on it - I actually prefer to tune trucks in on the street, then fine tune them at the track - the times and dyno numbers in my signature are from my "rough" tuning that was done in 2 days on the street.

Last edited:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Sorry Dustin, I did hesitate to mention your name, on the other site if you don't watch who you praise you will be castrated.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Sorry Dustin, I did hesitate to mention your name, on the other site if you don't watch who you praise you will be castrated.

That's what I figured - here as long as you aren't going around as a complete cheer leader for a non paying vendor people don't seem to mind. You can share personal experience without no ridicule. And I am a supporting vendor here anyway.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Thanks for all the help guys, I am looking into an EFI Live course in Temecula. And I hear there may be an online diesel course in the new year. I will definately be going with EFI although I may hold off until spring as I can't get traction in the winter here as it is.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Your truck is going to be alot more fun 8 lug, good luck.:thumb:

I too started with the PPE hot+2, Awesome tuner!!, by far the best programmer ive had, shifted great, ran strong. PPE is king of the handheld tuners.

But i too Moved to EFI live, No regrets, just smiles, Absolutley love it, although i also havent mastered it, Thats why i Had diesel addiction write my tuning.

The venors on this site that sell EFI will write tunes for you , so dont worry about having to know tuning. Custom tuning will make your truck run to its full potential.

What you can do with EFI is pretty much unlimited as compared to a handheld tuner. For example if you want to add a turbo brake to your tow tune for increased stopping power, or make a nasty smoke tune for people who have to ride your butt LOL!

and like said above the DSP5 switchable tuning is awesome, just a turn of the knob and pick your tune, no having to pull over, reload a tune, then go, your always loaded for bear with EFI Live.

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
I knew EFI was coming out with a DSP5 switch for the LBZ, but had no idea it was already out. I called myself watching out for it, but i guess im a little behind. I would like a PM with a price as well. trying to sell my edge, and definately goin with EFI. gotta stay low for a while though, i don't know if my transgo will like all this.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Dont worry about your tranny, You can get tranny safe tunes. Diesel Addiction offers 2 sets of dsp5 tunes, a set for stock trannys and a set for built trannys. If you get the tuning with a stock tranny you get a 125 HP performance tune, when you get your tranny built that tune becomes your hot tow tune and you can get a 450 HP daily driver tune and a max effort racing tune. I'm sure other vendors offer a very good setup but this is the only one I know about.