truck dies

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
i have an 02 and lately it has be acting likenit runs out of fuel with my tank still half full my air dog keeps blowing fuses as well after the truck dies if i get out and jump the wires for the airdog it primes the system and will start back upbut it runs fine until i get to about half a tank any ideas?

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Maybe the airdog? It shouldnt be blowing fuses, ohm the motor and see what its doing. Also any visible leaks when idling. I hate to ask a dumb question, but have you bypassed the airdog to see if it solves the issue?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Since the airdog is blowing the fuse, it sounds like the airdog is on the way out. But I suspect you have 2 problems.

As for dying at half tank, I had that happen on my truck, and it turned out the factory draw tube had cracked and would pull air when the fuel level dropped below the crack. I got a new ACDelco sending unit (rather than try and replace the cracked plastic bendy straw thing), and it has been great ever since. They aren't that hard to change if you have a couple buddies to help you lift the bed off. 3 people can do it, 4 is a cakewalk. Then just pop the sending unit out, drop the new one in, and put the bed back. Takes 30 minutes for the whole thing, but plan on a couple hours to BS with your buds while you work. You'll need a socket for the bed bolts, fuel line disconnect tools, a screwdriver or punch, and a mallet.

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
the air dog i think is out it has just been pulling fuel thru it i will be orderi ng a new motor for it soon just didnt know what the dying at half a tank was from