LB7: Trouble

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
I have a 04 LB7 w 184k miles. Running a banks exhaust system and programer. The programer claims increases of 90 hp, 165 foot pounds.

Two days ago trans took a dump, after loud "bang" pulling away from red light I lost first and second gear. (still have reverse). Trans fluid has a burnt odor. Starting the process of looking for a replacement. Since I never changed anything in the trans. from stock, do you have any suggestions as to how I would proceed with a reman and what upgrades should I look for? I pull a RV trailer that weights a little less than 9000 lbs.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Strange thats not alot of miles and 90 horse shouldn't hurt mmuch pulling the weight you said.

Mike L. can get you pointed in the right direction for sure. Dexron has a burnt small anyway, when did you last change the spin on filter? I know this doesn't explain the bang sound. Any light or codes in the dash? Any trouble codes

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Are you sure that you just didn't limp the trans? Were you stuck in 3rd gear after the bang? If you stop the truck and cycle the ignition a few times everything should reset. But like was said above, 90hp shouldn't limp it. Then again I've seen a few Allison's with different holding abilities.
What part of the country are you in? The are some real knowledgeable tranny guys on here that you can go to depending where you are. MikeL being one of them.

Nick

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
Thanks for the responses. Trouble codes P0700, C0055, P0872. With the first bang I pulled over, shut down and reset the codes with my Hypertech programer. This did not correct anything, went right into limp mode. Here's the confession part, after much reading in the last 48 hours I now understand that something has been slipping for the last 3 years, when ever I pulled my RV bang right into limp mode, I would then deprogram the damn thing and everything was fine. I thought this had to do with mass air flow sensor (friend's explanation). I live in Fort Worth TX. Now when I start my truck, it sounds like mating chain saws when I shift gears,,,not good!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
P0872 is a struck E shift valve. That indicates that you have trash in the trans probably due to burnt clutches.

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
I've got a local guy who is going to pull and look at the damage and advise me how to proceed.

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
P0872 is a struck E shift valve. That indicates that you have trash in the trans probably due to burnt clutches.

Mike can my 04 1000 be changed from a 5 speed to a 6 speed, would that make sense in a rebuild?