Question: triple turbo sizing

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I have some time until I get my built block back from the machine shop so I have been looking into a triple turbo setup but don't have a clue what will work and what wont so here is my question.I just picked up a s475 83 1.10 ar t4 for a steal and was hoping to use this as my secondary(valley charger)what sizing options do I have for the 2 primary's for this to fly?I have been searching for a while and don't have a definite answer how to make or will it work.This is not a dd truck or a tow pig so all options are open and a little lag is ok .Sorry for the newbe q's,first triple:eek:.Also got a call from Danville and fingers finished my triple cp3 controller so its game on.:thumb:Thanks for info in advance.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
First you would really want a different charger than that for your high pressure. You need more turbine flow if the sky is the limit for you. If you run s300 series for atmospheres do 360 bearings. If you use s400 for atmospheres vband inlet turbines are really nice and allow for a more compact look. They also perform exceptionally well. Look at Brett truck for performance. It is easy for big power wi t h them but a well designed kit is crucial for it to be effecient. Don't skimp on some things that most guys don't believe is needed. Waste gates are for protection and tuning of the system as is blow offs. It gets expensive very quickly.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
First you would really want a different charger than that for your high pressure. You need more turbine flow if the sky is the limit for you. If you run s300 series for atmospheres do 360 bearings. If you use s400 for atmospheres vband inlet turbines are really nice and allow for a more compact look. They also perform exceptionally well. Look at Brett truck for performance. It is easy for big power wi t h them but a well designed kit is crucial for it to be effecient. Don't skimp on some things that most guys don't believe is needed. Waste gates are for protection and tuning of the system as is blow offs. It gets expensive very quickly.

Thanks for the info,already up to my ass in dept over this thing so might as well go for broke and have some fun doing it.I have a s475 96 1.32 t6,and a s475 83 1.10 t4,where should I go from here?asking you guys because you have been here.mainly wanting to know what sizing works and how.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
If money is not going to be a problem I would not use the 83 or the 96 tw. They are 30 years old.
I like the 87mm tw it is new technology and flows close to the 96mm tw.
The 75 mm compressor wheel as the high pressure will be fine, or a 72mm.
The exducers are both 100mm. I would look at a race cover because it will flow more air through it ultimately.

You will need to wastegate around the high pressure turbo as well. A turbonetics pedestal and the 87mm turbine would do well with a 38mm gate.

If you stick with the 83mm turbine than 2 separate gates our of each uppipe would be best.

Honestly if you have enough wastegate the high pressure turbine can be somewhat small and tight so the truck actually drives decent on the street.
The 2 atmo chargers are going to hit hard when they light and the gates open.

You may have to deal with a backpressure spike just before you open the wastegates because opening them too early might surge the charger.

x2 on the s400 v band bep or tial turbine housing's. They are open throat and flow great with a clean install. 3 472 or 475 would do well.

The upgraded thrust is a great idea, and if you are not worried about rebuilding them the ball bearing garret units have a solid thrust.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
If your set on triples, your going to want a different turbo all together. S360's paired with an s366 in the valley, or some s366's paid with a properly set up s472 or similar would be my choice. My buddy has an s360/billet 366 kit and has done 1100 horse with it. It out spooled my old danville 72 every time.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
We run three box stock S475's on the Nova. I did add race covers to the atmospherics though.

88731d46508c316df0372def2de1bc55.jpg

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
If your set on triples, your going to want a different turbo all together. S360's paired with an s366 in the valley, or some s366's paid with a properly set up s472 or similar would be my choice. My buddy has an s360/billet 366 kit and has done 1100 horse with it. It out spooled my old danville 72 every time.

He is running triple cp3 fuel pumps he said, he may want a little more air.

We run three box stock S475's on the Nova

Its a light car that is just a race track ride correct?
What stall tc do you recommend, and what turbine size are you using( I am guessing the 87 tw as that comes with the race cover box stock as pictured)

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
If money is not going to be a problem I would not use the 83 or the 96 tw. They are 30 years old.
I like the 87mm tw it is new technology and flows close to the 96mm tw.
The 75 mm compressor wheel as the high pressure will be fine, or a 72mm.
The exducers are both 100mm. I would look at a race cover because it will flow more air through it ultimately.

You will need to wastegate around the high pressure turbo as well. A turbonetics pedestal and the 87mm turbine would do well with a 38mm gate.

If you stick with the 83mm turbine than 2 separate gates our of each uppipe would be best.

Honestly if you have enough wastegate the high pressure turbine can be somewhat small and tight so the truck actually drives decent on the street.
The 2 atmo chargers are going to hit hard when they light and the gates open.

You may have to deal with a backpressure spike just before you open the wastegates because opening them too early might surge the charger.

x2 on the s400 v band bep or tial turbine housing's. They are open throat and flow great with a clean install. 3 472 or 475 would do well.

The upgraded thrust is a great idea, and if you are not worried about rebuilding them the ball bearing garret units have a solid thrust.

Thanks,thats some good info right there.Money is tight with this build so using the 2 475,s I already have will put me miles ahead .If I use the 75/83 as the hp what will the preferred size be for the 2 475 lp's? I never thought I would get this far when I first started modding,very addicting hobby!

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Thanks,thats some good info right there.Money is tight with this build so using the 2 475,s I already have will put me miles ahead .If I use the 75/83 as the hp what will the preferred size be for the 2 475 lp's? I never thought I would get this far when I first started modding,very addicting hobby!

Ok they make a 1.10 ar housing for the 96 tw but even that housing is huge. No idea how you will fit 2 of them anywhere lol

It is gonna spool awful in the valley.
sell the 96 tw cartridge and turbine housing. sell the t4 housing off the other s475

buy another 75/83 cartridge and buy 2 tial v band turbine housings that are loose.

for they valley buy an s472 race cover with the 87 turbine and a 1.10 housing.
use a turbonetics pedestal and buy nice 45mm wastegate.

The 87mm tw are about 700 each so they get pricey.

What is the budget for this and I will try and help more.

I have some of this stuff used or just used for mock up.

Last edited:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I've got less into these three turbos new ($2400) than a new BB GTX single would run. I've driven it on the street, it's licensed and insured. Only reason it couldn't be a weekend street warrior is the Dry ice cooler, tires and rear diff spool. Minimal smoke until about 1/2 throttle, but tuning isn't optimal yet. We stall it at 3200 staging.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I've got less into these three turbos new ($2400) than a new BB GTX single would run. I've driven it on the street, it's licensed and insured. Minimal smoke until about 1/2 throttle, but tuning isn't optimal yet. We stall it at 3200 staging.

Tha'ts the first I saw this car. It looks great, and I think your setup might be exactly what the op is in need of. I have street driven a 7200 pound ccsb on a 3200 stall though and it is embarrassing, such a struggle everywhere you go. The car is lighter and its suppose to grunt so you can get away with it lol:thumb:

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
I had a s475 high pressure with the 87 turbine and 1.0 housing and two s366 for the low pressures. All three chargers were billet. It drove ok on the street. A whole lot better then my 475/ gt55 twin setup. That 83 turbine is a huge piece of crap. And the turbonetics pedestal is a royal pain in the ass because the outlet is on the rear. Trust me I had one in my triple setup and would never buy another one. Get a Profab pedestal and don't look back. Jmo

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Tha'ts the first I saw this car. It looks great, and I think your setup might be exactly what the op is in need of. I have street driven a 7200 pound ccsb on a 3200 stall though and it is embarrassing, such a struggle everywhere you go. The car is lighter and its suppose to grunt so you can get away with it lol:thumb:

Ours will flash stall to 3200, street driving it feels like a normal 1800rpm converter.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Ours will flash stall to 3200, street driving it feels like a normal 1800rpm converter.

That perfect than. Do you think it would couple at 1800-2000 rpm is a heavy truck? The worst part is our locker. When you pull out with a high stall on a turn, and the detroit locks and holds the truck back it just feels so akward thats the biggest reason I went to twins over my big single and parallel setups.

Do you sell that converter?
Its something the op should be looking at for sure.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I had a s475 high pressure with the 87 turbine and 1.0 housing and two s366 for the low pressures. All three chargers were billet. It drove ok on the street. A whole lot better then my 475/ gt55 twin setup. That 83 turbine is a huge piece of crap. And the turbonetics pedestal is a royal pain in the ass because the outlet is on the rear. Trust me I had one in my triple setup and would never buy another one. Get a Profab pedestal and don't look back. Jmo

The rear outlet is tight to plumb, so you may have a point with ricks pedestal being nicer.

Did you destroy the thrust bearings in the s366'S on a regular basis?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Haha, don't think the OP would want to go Powerglide (XP5)

I always heard the glides and 400's twisted the bell off if you put them behind a dmax.

I am doing a 38 chevy with a parallel setup over the winter. We have a 48re but a glide would be great. I may be calling you on that converter!

Sorry for the detour op.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
First answer what Hp goals and vehicle purpose? You will then be able to go the right charger combo. Piping and sizes of the piping are important. How they are plumbed is important. It is more complicated than most give credit for in picking the right setup for you. I run a TCT S472 with the 87 turbine and 1.0 a/r housing with two 366's. It is gated on the high pressure and I run a blow off for surge. It is very strong. You really can't comprehend the power levels that it can make. Know for sure where you may go with it and choose from there.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
First answer what Hp goals and vehicle purpose? You will then be able to go the right charger combo. Piping and sizes of the piping are important. How they are plumbed is important. It is more complicated than most give credit for in picking the right setup for you. I run a TCT S472 with the 87 turbine and 1.0 a/r housing with two 366's. It is gated on the high pressure and I run a blow off for surge. It is very strong. You really can't comprehend the power levels that it can make. Know for sure where you may go with it and choose from there.
How would I put an 87 1.0 on my t4 475?And as for my t6 475,could a t6-t4 adaptor w/gate be used if both atmo,s were the same or would that be pissin in the wind?Would really like to use the t4 in the valley for now until I find a more appropriate size so what low buck atmo,s could I put under the 75 that can be upgraded when money allowes?I do know this is NOT ideal but it will get me headed in the right direction.I want to thank everyone who has provided some info on this topic.got the wheels turnin.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
How would I put an 87 1.0 on my t4 475?And as for my t6 475,could a t6-t4 adaptor w/gate be used if both atmo,s were the same or would that be pissin in the wind?Would really like to use the t4 in the valley for now until I find a more appropriate size so what low buck atmo,s could I put under the 75 that can be upgraded when money allowes?I do know this is NOT ideal but it will get me headed in the right direction.I want to thank everyone who has provided some info on this topic.got the wheels turnin.

Honestly if it were me I would try and sell both the chargers you have to buy one 475 t4 with 87 turbine. You won't regret it in the long run.