Transmission leak

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Okay so if I pulled the transmission, and titled it forward on its bell housing. And what seems like all of the fluid drained out of the dipstick hole.

How much Amsoil will it take to fill it up? I can still here a little in the torque converter but I didn't drain it.

I am also replacing the spin on external. (Or should I leave it?)

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
If you have trans completely pulled why not remove pan and change internal filter? Then change spin on as well (use Allison they are only $10).

You can just lay the converter upside down in the top of a 5 gallon pail and it will drain some of the fluid. It does not need fluid in it when you reinstall it.

It takes 2-4 gallons depending on how much you really got out of it in your case. If you completely rebuild it it can take around 5 IIRC. I can't say, I've paid attention and measured it closely, everything I do is in bulk and I just fill to the right level. I know if I fill a 5 gallon pail there will just be a very little left once the trans is completely topped up after test drives and getting it to temp for proper check.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
If you have trans completely pulled why not remove pan and change internal filter? Then change spin on as well (use Allison they are only $10).

You can just lay the converter upside down in the top of a 5 gallon pail and it will drain some of the fluid. It does not need fluid in it when you reinstall it.

It takes 2-4 gallons depending on how much you really got out of it in your case. If you completely rebuild it it can take around 5 IIRC. I can't say, I've paid attention and measured it closely, everything I do is in bulk and I just fill to the right level. I know if I fill a 5 gallon pail there will just be a very little left once the trans is completely topped up after test drives and getting it to temp for proper check.
I sure will go ahead and replace both. especially before I re install the tranny....

I only have 4 gallons of amsoil. so I will use all of it and then check (gonna order more either way though, if I may ask where you get yours? local store or chain?)

Is it a Must to drain the TC?

and I was also planning on using valvoline ATF in the transfer case. (I have 6 extra quarts from another vehicle)

should be alright eh?

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
It's not a must to drain converter.

I don't use amsoil, I use Chevron for everything
Thank you! Everything starts tonight. Finally got a night off and the rental place for the tranny jack screwed me over so I had to find another.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
I don't drive my truck very often anymore. I parked it for about 1 1/2 weeks and noticed about a pint of ATF leaked out. It looks like it came from between the transfer case and where the transmission meet. I checked the fluid before starting it and it looked over filled. After starting it I haven't noticed any leaking since. But the truck hasn't sat for longer than a day since then. I was wondering if it is a possible converter drain back issue but I don't know where the fluid would be coming from. Any ideas?
What happened? Sorry about derailing your thread, the least I can do is find out what was wrong!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm guessing the factory seal is the best? I found a replacement, it's not a cork one but it's also Not the hard version.

Nothing works better than the double backed rubber gasket with steel insert. Nothing else will live under the heat in the Allison. None of the OEM's are running paper or fiber gaskets any more cause they don't work. Everything runs hotter now.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Nothing works better than the double backed rubber gasket with steel insert. Nothing else will live under the heat in the Allison. None of the OEM's are running paper or fiber gaskets any more cause they don't work. Everything runs hotter now.
Any good sources on where to get one? I think the one I have is rubber. it came with the baldwin internal pan filter as well as the spin on.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Any big rig shops near you? The local western star dealership in town is allison authorized. I had to grab a new gasket during my build last week and they had one, cheaper then GM and in stock. I'd look there first.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Any big rig shops near you? The local western star dealership in town is allison authorized. I had to grab a new gasket during my build last week and they had one, cheaper then GM and in stock. I'd look there first.
I do not. the biggest thing around here is RV shops, and none of them have one.

I wonder if Suncoast will have one. I'm 15 minutes away.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
^^depending on traffic anyways...

But it would suck to take my truck there in 3rd gear....

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Many aftermarket replacements are cork or straight rubber. As mentioned they do not work well. The rubber may work better than cork in a pinch, but the factory one is best. Reuseable until it starts to leak. I always coat it with a film of grease for some reason, old habit (but im not old:confused:).

I get them from the local allison dealer, or from another guy with tons of ally parts if I have time to wait for shipping. He can usually have it faster than the local one anyways.

Otherwise ATD used to have them in their filter kits. I think it was the reason the kits were outrageously priced at $100.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
I guess I'll have to go with a rubber one...Noone around here carries one and I'm not overnight shipping for 70 bucks