Transmission Dump-shifts, VATS Light On (truck runs and drives).

TahlulaMax13

Jun 12, 2024
United States
This is more than likely two or more different problems, but I am mostly trying to think tank this. Professionals have been stumped including GM Dealer. I have some thoughts, but mostly need help and guidance. Outlined issues below. Pray for your sanity if I am not able to make this make sense.

• Transmission began dump shifting in and out of 3rd gear. Very harshly and dramatically. Started out as only after long highway drives. Took it into Inglewood and they were not able to replicate it and said everything was fine.
  • Symptoms got worse and took it in again and this time had the trans cracked open. Determined that clutches looked OK but did show more wear on 3rd gear packs. Got the full rebuild since the truck was already apart. TC, Transgo, and fresh rebuild.
  • Symptoms improved, but still persisted. Tried to do the trans relearn but kept getting blocked (per tech and trans rebuilder) due to the code being thrown by the VATS (security light) and a different issue I have (P0380) with my glowplug circuit.
  • Attempted to rectify that, to no avail.
The VATS happened after the truck sat for a while with both batteries removed. I have tried 15-20 times to do the VATS relearn, and the light never goes off, ever. Finally got myself a proper scanner to pull codes in the TCM and the deep codes to try and figure this out. Additionally, the truck starts and runs fine even though the PASSLOCK light has been on for 5-6 years and I cant clear it.

The VATS and P0380 codes persist, but the transmission has degraded now even worse (truck has only had 5K miles on it since the rebuild). Seeking, poor shifted up and down. I am beginning to think this is a harness issue with the TCM. I know I need to get the P0380 cleared first so the CEL stops coming on, but the security light is dumbfounding me since the truck still starts and drives and the VATS relearn never happens.

To add to that...truck was almost stolen so I had to replace the whole ignition switch, tumbler, and keys. Again, truck still starts even though now I have a whole new key, switch, and tumbler.

Will post updated codes after I repair the P0380, check all the modules signals at the comb for 7V signal, and attempt the VATS relearn again. But for now, here is what I have before, and after clearing codes. Note the time stamps to tell the difference.

Attachments

• CHEVROLET- Duramax Initial Code Scan.pdf
    68.5 KB · Views: 11
  • CHEVROLET- Duramax Post Code Clear Scan.pdf
    65.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I bet this is going to be something simple. Like Ron hinted at, bad batteries, alternator. Or bad ground, loose or bad connection, etc. or perhaps the infamous ABS sensor issue. I would check of you have any ABS codes

TahlulaMax13

Jun 12, 2024
United States
I bet this is going to be something simple. Like Ron hinted at, bad batteries, alternator. Or bad ground, loose or bad connection, etc. or perhaps the infamous ABS sensor issue. I would check of you have any ABS codes
No ABS codes as you can see above in the pictures. But there is a wheel speed sensor code that pop up randomly that I have not seen before. I am think I might want to pull both batteries at the same time (again) and put them on the trickle charger for a few days and let the truck sit power free for a few days as well and try to start fresh.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
No ABS codes as you can see above in the pictures. But there is a wheel speed sensor code that pop up randomly that I have not seen before. I am think I might want to pull both batteries at the same time (again) and put them on the trickle charger for a few days and let the truck sit power free for a few days as well and try to start fresh.
Wheel speed sensor issues have been known to cause bad shifting

Reactions: TahlulaMax13

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
My ‘02 always gave me a service 4wd light, even before I got it. Never had a problem with 4wd working ever. My trans started giving me fits, same as yours. Hard shifts into reverse and drive and nasty flared shifts. I put new batteries in because they tested low and it fixed the problem…for about a month. I started thinking I had t-case problems. I eventually changed the mode switch on the dash and no problems since. Been 4 months and so far so good.

TahlulaMax13

Jun 12, 2024
United States
My ‘02 always gave me a service 4wd light, even before I got it. Never had a problem with 4wd working ever. My trans started giving me fits, same as yours. Hard shifts into reverse and drive and nasty flared shifts. I put new batteries in because they tested low and it fixed the problem…for about a month. I started thinking I had t-case problems. I eventually changed the mode switch on the dash and no problems since. Been 4 months and so far so good.
This is a new code I had never seen before. I'll isolate and test the CANBUS system for a bad signal from there.

TahlulaMax13

Jun 12, 2024
United States
I'm either blind, or the previous owner(s) were digging around and moved a bunch of wires around. I cannot for the life of me find the Class 2 bus comb, ANYWHERE. I have damn near my whole dash on the driver side and it is nowhere to be found. Is it in a different location on the LB7s than other years? It is a CA Emissions vehicle if that makes a difference.

I can post pictures, but I am not seeing it anywhere. I know it is supposed to be under the panel by the left knee of the driver. But there is nothing there besides the OBDII port. Per diagrams, its supposed to be a white/Offwhite connector with a bus comb in it and should just be basically sitting right there under the panel.

TahlulaMax13

Jun 12, 2024
United States
Don't know if this helps or what f these pictures are the exact same as yours

View attachment 124288

View attachment 124289

View attachment 124290
This was very helpful, thank you! everything came back clean on the BUS. No bad signals. No clue why the security light is still on or why the truck shifts the way it does. Im replacing the glow plugs next and repairing the circuit to clear that code. Hoping the CEL for the P0380 is the issue blocking the trans relearn and the VATs relearn.

fingers crossed.