Trans taking a lot of fluid after fluid change

tbrowne

Dec 5, 2010
I dropped the pan on my 2008 2500HD with Allison Trans, changed the internal and spin-on filters. After reinstalling the pan, I initially added 7.4 quarts of TransSynd, drove the truck and found the fluid level to just be showing on the dip stick. I've been adding fluid in 8 oz increments to bring the fluid level up the the proper fill level. I'm up to 10 quarts and it's just now at the cold fill mark on the dip stick. I'm the original owner of this truck and it has the OEM pan on it. Should I be concerned about the trans taking so much fluid?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Well the Allison takes roughly 13 quarts on a dry fill so I wouldn't be too concerned unless you started to approach or exceed that

The converter will contain a quart or two and a small amount in the lines and cooler. Maybe you had some drain back out when you emptied it. Was it about 7 quarts of old fluid or more?

Also, you are checking it hot right?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The Allison holds 17 qt's dry ( stock ). When the internal filter is changed, it can take an additional 3-4 qt's above the 7 qt's normaly needed for a drain and fill.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If you drop the pan and leave the filter's off for awhile, you will get quite a bit more fluid drained out than if you change the filters quickly and button it back up. I've gotten 12-13 quarts out by letting one set overnight.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
We swapped out my buddy's deep pan that he wanted to move to the new truck (PC green is his thing, lol). Prior to the swap, the old truck was sitting for many many weeks with the front end raised. While swapping the pan, the internal filter was changed too. It drank 14qts to refill. Freaked us out. All we could figure was the front height must have drained the torque converter too?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
We swapped out my buddy's deep pan that he wanted to move to the new truck (PC green is his thing, lol). Prior to the swap, the old truck was sitting for many many weeks with the front end raised. While swapping the pan, the internal filter was changed too. It drank 14qts to refill. Freaked us out. All we could figure was the front height must have drained the torque converter too?

No shit.:D