Allison 6sp: Trans Slip?

OhioDuramax

Jan 10, 2010
i have the banks system with PDA and when im driving in sixth gear it says trans slip is around 17. is this bad? it also has some in 5th around 8 give or take. its been the same since i got it. what do i do ?

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Where in ohio are you?

Wouldnt hurt to tell us more details about your truck.

My GUESS is your watching information you really dont need LOL!

Is this slip while you have it floored?

Is the converter locked while showing slip?

OhioDuramax

Jan 10, 2010
i live in Novelty Ohio, cleveland area. just joined today, ive never used a forum before. i have a 2008 chevy 3500 crewcab long bed. 56,000 miles, it shows slip all the time while in 6th, ill start my profile this week. i want to learn all i can about my truck, Name is Dan

insane3639

Sep 22, 2008
welcome dan! slippage is normal as far as i kno but i think you need to be concerned when tq converter is locked. although dont quote me on that i may be wrong

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Have a Tech 2 put on it and moniter slip speed for the converter. You cannot make a good diagnosis with a programmer.

dhutch

Nov 27, 2008
I've had the same problem on my '06 D-max. I pulled my fifth wheel from Alabama to Fairbanks, Alaska with the 6-gun indicating slip the whole way, that was a year and a half ago. I'm stationed in Alaska with the military and pull my camper everywhere. I found on one of the forums that a dirty connector at the trans and/or where the banks plugs into the main harness can cause the problem. Also, one of the pins in the plug for the banks harness can back out just a little, this was the case with mine. Once reseated, my issue went away. Apparently, the 6-gun wasnt "seeing" all of the info that it needed and determined that the trans was slipping. It worked for me, hope it will help you.
:)

OhioDuramax

Jan 10, 2010
yeah, ill definitely check that, thanks alot, i did have an error msg come up b4 and thats what fixed it but i didnt know that could cause this too. ill check all the connections this time and ill let you know if it works

03demax

Sep 15, 2008
Central PA
Banks told me you ned not worry until it gets up to 50 or more. It is degrees behind the imput. Call Banks for a good explaination!!