Trans problems. Help please

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Never tore into a Allison but would like to some day and today was the day, but not the way I wanted to!! I pulled the rear adapter of my transmission that goes to the transfer case to replace it (had cracked it from bad bushing in transfer case) and when I pulled it out the output shaft and all the gears and c5 clutch pack fell out! Wasn't expecting that to happen. So I tried my best to put everything back in correctly and it seemed t go in just fine and bolted up fine. Went to drive it and if I out it in drive, 3,2, or 1 it acts like it wants to go then just slips into 3rd, I'm assuming, and throws a p0872 and p0700 which is the pressure solenoid switch or whatever stuck. I've looked it all up and I just don't see how it could be in the valve body when I didn't touch it. I feel I did not put something in correctly. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Don't drive it. Pull it out and get yourself a manual and go through it! There is a torrington bearing in there that probably fell out of place and is being ground up.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Don't drive it. Pull it out and get yourself a manual and go through it! There is a torrington bearing in there that probably fell out of place and is being ground up.

I'm sure I put the little bearings back in correctly. Reverse works fine, put it in drive and goes fine for a second then slips out and slips into third with the codes. No weird noises or grinding

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I was under the impression that if you take the tail housing off that you had to take the entire trans out or things fall out of alignment internally...

Yes I found this out. But it is possible to do from what I've read it's just easier to with trans out.
I pulled valve body and cleaned it all up. Everything looked good in there no trash. One thing I did notice was in front of the c5 clutches is I guess a big spacer that I could see through the pan area. I could move the spacer up and down real easy. Not sure if that's supposed to be tight or not. I don't hear it while driving.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Yes I found this out. But it is possible to do from what I've read it's just easier to with trans out.
I pulled valve body and cleaned it all up. Everything looked good in there no trash. One thing I did notice was in front of the c5 clutches is I guess a big spacer that I could see through the pan area. I could move the spacer up and down real easy. Not sure if that's supposed to be tight or not. I don't hear it while driving.

It is possible to do if you stand the truck on its nose.
What I don't understand is; you have read my posts on this along with other people that said not to do it. Yet you believed the stupid people that lied about their success. I have seen their success in a basket with a destroyed Allison. You don't read about this stuff as these people are not going to post their mess.
I cannot do it without worrying about the possible damage.
Did you think I was lying about the 100% failure possibility?
Now you are here whining about your problems. have you called your forum experts for advice?

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
It is possible to do if you stand the truck on its nose.

What I don't understand is; you have read my posts on this along with other people that said not to do it. Yet you believed the stupid people that lied about their success. I have seen their success in a basket with a destroyed Allison. You don't read about this stuff as these people are not going to post their mess.

I cannot do it without worrying about the possible damage.

Did you think I was lying about the 100% failure possibility?

Now you are here whining about your problems. have you called your forum experts for advice?

Let me tell you something you little *****. I didn't come on here to listen to your crap. I know I screwed up that's why I'm asking for help I don't need you to go on and on about it I need help fixing my screw up. I said I wasn't expecting all that crap to come out I thought I would be able to just pull the adapter and nothing else but it was to late when it started coming out ya I know I screwed up. What's done is done. Now I know you are the expert at these trannies so why not be positive and try to help out your name instead of bring it down.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
It's normal to be able to move the c5 backing plate. How did it look inside the pan?

It looked fine no junk on the magnet or any pieces in it. I just have no knowledge of what I'm looking for. It will stay in first for about 3 seconds then pop out and go I to 3rd with the codes.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
My truck is going through the same thing. Either there is dirt on there which is making your e solenoid spring stick. Or metal ground up, EITHER WAY.

Go order a Sonnex Spring and Reamer Tool. I ordered mine for 113 dollars with 3 day shipping.

Note I also replaced the extension housing. But with my trans out. Did it mesh back up perfectly? With no resistance?

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
My truck is going through the same thing. Either there is dirt on there which is making your e solenoid spring stick. Or metal ground up, EITHER WAY.

Go order a Sonnex Spring and Reamer Tool. I ordered mine for 113 dollars with 3 day shipping.

Note I also replaced the extension housing. But with my trans out. Did it mesh back up perfectly? With no resistance?

Only little resistance was from the spring which isn't much. Which solenoid is the e solenoid? And what does putting a bigger one in there do to fix the problem?

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Only little resistance was from the spring which isn't much. Which solenoid is the e solenoid? And what does putting a bigger one in there do to fix the problem?
I can't really explain it..or find the picture at the moment.

The spring isn't bigger, it's stronger.

The reamer makes the shaft larger.

The combination hopefully makes it easier for dirt and debris (if any at all) to pass through.

The only reason I say hopefully is because my spring and Reamer Tool are still on their way, I haven't driven my truck in 3 days because I also have a p0872...

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Let me tell you something you little *****. I didn't come on here to listen to your crap. I know I screwed up that's why I'm asking for help I don't need you to go on and on about it I need help fixing my screw up. I said I wasn't expecting all that crap to come out I thought I would be able to just pull the adapter and nothing else but it was to late when it started coming out ya I know I screwed up. What's done is done. Now I know you are the expert at these trannies so why not be positive and try to help out your name instead of bring it down.

You are an idiot.