Allison 5sp: Trans leaking while parked

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
I understand being a newbie or diy'er, but if your doing research on a site like this give as much info as possible a detailed 2or3 minute read by a tech could lead to a 30 second answer but a 30 sec. question is just going to lead to question-reply-question-reply until its 100 posts long. I'm just new to this but I'm not going to waste some pro's time when I'm getting FREE EXPERT advice.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its not transmission oil, its engine oil coming from the left up pipe that has been leaking for the last year due to a failed turbo thrust bearing and finally got bad. So you should replace the heater core

hipp11B

Apr 1, 2015
Georgia
Thank GOD. Thank you sid. Yeah man seen a damn puddle under the truck after pt. As YOU know the op. tempo of my job doesn't allow me to check on my truck as soon as a problem arises. Didn't have a chance to look at it yet today doing maintenance, pcc/pci ect, you know how it is. Simply figured I'd post my findings to get a jump start for when I get home. Thanks bro

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

No problem bud, lol I know the op tempo all to well my friend lol

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
It's just funny that people want to know something without taking 30 seconds to crawl under it and look. Honestly how in the world could anyone help you with zero knowledge about the situation. Spin on Filter, converter, front seal, Bell housing bolts, Bell housing gaskets, PTO cover gaskets, speed sensor Oring, pan gasket, drain plug, cooler lines, cooler in the stack, cooler at the radiator, rear adapter housing cracked, trans over full and spit from over flow, transfer case gasket, transfer case half, drive shaft seal, and pump rub could all be causing a leak. So anyone of them are my guess with the info given. Thanks for serving, but we all live busy lives.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
its not transmission oil, its engine oil coming from the left up pipe that has been leaking for the last year due to a failed turbo thrust bearing and finally got bad. So you should replace the heater core

I was guessing the driver side being thats the hardest to get to which automatically makes it go over sooner!!:D

OP, You will always run across something like this on the forum. There's lots of good people here so don't take it to hard!!:D

Thanks for your services as well!!!:thumb:

Yellowchevy

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
It's just funny that people want to know something without taking 30 seconds to crawl under it and look. Honestly how in the world could anyone help you with zero knowledge about the situation. Spin on Filter, converter, front seal, Bell housing bolts, Bell housing gaskets, PTO cover gaskets, speed sensor Oring, pan gasket, drain plug, cooler lines, cooler in the stack, cooler at the radiator, rear adapter housing cracked, trans over full and spit from over flow, transfer case gasket, transfer case half, drive shaft seal, and pump rub could all be causing a leak. So anyone of them are my guess with the info given. Thanks for serving, but we all live busy lives.
Thank you you listed way more things than what crossed my mind. I was thinking too small( pan gasket,input/out put or housing seals)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

hipp11B

Apr 1, 2015
Georgia

Harbin22, again missing the context of the question. What he means is are there any "normal" things that would cause this from sitting. He was not asking YOU to give him all the possibilities. It was a really simple question. I also think he realizes that most people live busy lives, living a military life is a COMPLETELY different animal, you will never understand unless you do it, you can't just call up to your boss and say hey I'm going to be late. That will result in getting your balls smoked off, counseled, possible loss of pay/rank, ect it is not like civilian world at all. Now don't take this the wrong way I'm not putting you down in anyway I'm sure you bust your balls earning a living, I'm just attempting to give you some insight as to why he didn't have time to crawl under there and was hoping his brothers on the forum would have his back and have some insight. Ken has a tendency to "wig out" when he thinks something Is wrong with his truck and will hopelessly be stuck over thinking the **** out of the worst possible scenarios ALLLL day long lol. Again no disrespect just trying to give you some insight the military and the army in specific is an institution man you don't get much freedom they have you by the balls, it truly is a sacrifice of every single thing in your life, and again I don't mean to take away from what you do or say the military works harder I don't know what you do I'm sure you work long and hard.

hipp11B

Apr 1, 2015
Georgia
Don't take any of this personally. We're just trying to break you in right. :D:hug:

Mike, I talked to OP and told him that people will give him a hard time on here that's just the way it is. I only commented because you called it stupid however I have seen you give a lot of GREAT advise to dudes that didn't know there ass from a hole in the ground and I know I have benefited myself by reading through MANY of your trans talk threads. And all around I believe you to be a good guy that is why I was respectful when I commented and didn't get on here and start wigging out when I seen a battle buddy in destress thank you for clarifying!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike, I talked to OP and told him that people will give him a hard time on here that's just the way it is. I only commented because you called it stupid however I have seen you give a lot of GREAT advise to dudes that didn't know there ass from a hole in the ground and I know I have benefited myself by reading through MANY of your trans talk threads. And all around I believe you to be a good guy that is why I was respectful when I commented and didn't get on here and start wigging out when I seen a battle buddy in destress thank you for clarifying!

You haven't been here long enough to make this statement. The members here do want to help. This is what this forum is about.
The problem here is that newbies think we have a cristal ball and if they give us a little bit of info, we can pinpoint the problem. People post their version of what they think a code means without posting the code itself. No help to us.
Post the fricken number and I will tell you what is going on.
You have to help us before we can help you. That means you have to give us info. Walking by your truck and seeing a puddle without describing what color, position of the leak tells us nothing. It kind of pisses us off and makes us think you are arrogant and using us. And no, we don't automatically jump on people that ask for help. You just assumed that and you're wrong.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
America is getting lazy. Its easier to ask then do some research and get a little dirty looking for the leak. I love helping people when they are willing to learn. But not when they want a hand out.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
X2 ^^

This should serve as a lesson to all the newbies who've joined in the last couple years as to the level of toleration others are going to have with their questions if they havent bothered to do their required initial inspection first.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The last leak I had under my truck was from my blinker fluid resivoir. Every since I started refilling it like I should, my windshield gets foggy when I use the washer button, weird.

you are supposed to be using synthetic blinker fluid. that is likely your problem :D