trans go?! mixed reviews!!!

duramax400ci

May 11, 2011
Winthrop Harbor IL.
ok i was wondering if anybody could clear up the transgo jr. reviews. Does it work and will it make the allison 1000 hold a little more horse power then stock?!
It seems like some people think so and some dont.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
ok i was wondering if anybody could clear up the transgo jr. reviews. Does it work and will it make the allison 1000 hold a little more horse power then stock?!
It seems like some people think so and some dont.

you will need the full transgo kit for your 5 speed... the Jr. is designed to work with the 6 speeds which basically already have part of the transgo kit from the factory.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It will kind of half work. You'll get the benefit of the Transgo valves, but you won't do anything to beef up the C2 clutches. Nick is right, the Jr was released because the changes in the C2 are not needed on the 6 speeds. If you don't want to pull the trans to install the whole kit right now, you can put just the valves in for now, and install the rest of it later when you get the rest of the stuff to build the transmission.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
It will kind of half work. You'll get the benefit of the Transgo valves, but you won't do anything to beef up the C2 clutches. Nick is right, the Jr was released because the changes in the C2 are not needed on the 6 speeds. If you don't want to pull the trans to install the whole kit right now, you can put just the valves in for now, and install the rest of it later when you get the rest of the stuff to build the transmission.

x2 that is a better explanation

duramax400ci

May 11, 2011
Winthrop Harbor IL.
so it will hold more power if i get the full transgo kit? i asked my local transmission shop if they ever put in shift kits into the Allison 1000 and they said that it would just learn its way around, but i was wondering is thats true? i have the quadzilla stealth 2 on my truck now with the transmission tune (correct me if am wrong if thats not a trans tune) would that also help if i put a transgo kit in my truck?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The TRANSGO kit allows for full line pressure to be applied to the clutches instead of 125 when they are being held on by the trim valves(C1's are held to line pressure from 1st-3rd, and then C2's are held to line in 4th and 5th). The Jr. will help to decrease shift times as they go to full ine once roughly 65-70 PSI of pressure is commanded. The quicker shifts can help a little but not alot. The downfall is when lock-up occurs line pressure drops back down to about 140 so the Jrs valves don't really give you much boost in pressure while in lock-up in a stock alli. The C2's are definately at a disadvantage though in a 5 speed and really need modifying to be helped any. The only thing a Jr will do for a 5 speed is to speed up the shifts and help reduce shift flare.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Maybe you could explain?

Be happy to.

The 5 speed Allison suffers from a few flaws. The C2 clutch piston hits the clutches on the very inside diameter and bows the clutches out giving you about 50% use as far as apply. The inside of the C2 will always be burnt while the outside hardly touched. The C1 clutch apply piston will hit the clutches on the very outside and bow the clutches inward and you will see them burned on the outside giving you about 50% use. The C2 piston also has a ballance piston. While the fluid is pushing the C2 apply piston upwards, it is also forcing fluid on top of the C2 piston to control apply rate ( slowing it down for comfort ). Not good.
C1 and C2 clutches work off of mainline pressure ( 230 psi ) and C3/C4 clutches work off of control main pressure ( 80-125 psi ). The Transgo trim valves are designed to divert mailine pressure into the control main circuit for the C3/C4 clutches at 70 psi to hold them better. The problem is there was no help for the C2/C1 clutches with this kit. The pressure ballance action on the C2 piston ( slowing it down during apply ) is why they always limp in 5th gear and throw the P0735 code.( incorrect 5th gear ratio ).
The full Transgo kit adds the C2 piston mod which restricts the ballance flow of pressure through the piston and the piston comes on much quicker to lock the clutches.