LMM: Tranny upgrades, need info.

Kelby_Abels

Sep 3, 2013
Ravenswod, WV
I'm curious as to what a good upgrade for my tranny is. I'm going to be getting it tuned in the upcoming months and doing some engine mods, nothing major yet. I'm planning on doing some pulling next summer and trying to compete in our street class that we have. The truck now has 331,000 miles on it and I have no info on if the trans has been worked on ever or not. What do I need to do to keep it going and still be able to drive it on the street? And is the batmowheel worth the effort to put in? Will it gain me much for pulling? Thanks in advance!

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Tranny wise everybody should have a little input here and there for what TC to use and as well as what tranny kit to use which I believe most will say the Suncoast 6-3 kit I believe it is. Then obviously whether you are going to do the build yourself or take it to a recommended shop which again anyone up your way should have some insight on where to take it to. As far as the batmowheel goes I am going to say my opinion on it which is no... Not worth the price of it as well as the install time for the minimal if any power gains you will get out of it...

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
find someone local who essentially uses the Suncoast Gmax 6R parts and has a good track record. Call Suncoast to find out their opinion, and call Mike L. to see if maybe he has a preferred installer in your area.

Tim

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I'm curious as to what a good upgrade for my tranny is. I'm going to be getting it tuned in the upcoming months and doing some engine mods, nothing major yet. I'm planning on doing some pulling next summer and trying to compete in our street class that we have. The truck now has 331,000 miles on it and I have no info on if the trans has been worked on ever or not. What do I need to do to keep it going and still be able to drive it on the street? And is the batmowheel worth the effort to put in? Will it gain me much for pulling? Thanks in advance!

With that mileage your going to need more than what comes in a ''kit'' to do it right. Every bearing should be replaced and every wear item should be inspected and replaced accordingly.

Kelby_Abels

Sep 3, 2013
Ravenswod, WV
I was afarid is hear that but it was what I had expected I needed to do. Thanks for your input. I have no clue who works on them around my area or in the surrounding area. Maybe someone can chime in on this part.