Tranny selection cable.. Snapped

Dmax_Moneypit

Apr 15, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hey all, I'm kind of new to the site. I've often searched various issues concerning my Allison and found a lot of information extremely helpful. That and google search favours this site lol. Something kind of new to me is the cable snap issue. I've replaced drive trains bumper to bumper, engine swaps and upgrades and have never encountered this. I put my 95 GM to rest after the transfer case flew apart after 2million km. Has anyone else heard of this happening on newer GM's? Mines an 08.5.

Dmax_Moneypit

Apr 15, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Mine broke right at the selector on the NSBU switch. I remember noticing an odd angle on the cable itself. Didnt think anything of it at the time. I had replaced the NSBU about a year ago (Silly mounting inside the transmission itself). I recently lost reverse and thought i may have mismounted the switch and was on the way to pick up a new NSBU. As i pulled in i found that my shifter rolled with ease from D to P without locking. I shut the beast down and looked underneath and what do you know.. Cable wire puncturing through the rubber. Ill try to upload pics later on today.:roflmao:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Not uncommon problem really. The handful I have replaced was in the second half of the cable. The cable is two pieces, shifter to just outside of cab, and cab to transmission. These were all broke between the cab and transmission. You can replace just that section if that is the issue.