tranny issues

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
Hey Guys,
I have a 2001 chev 2500hd with 6.6 duramax and allison transmission.

I've had this happen 2-3 times now I pull up to stop and when I go to take off it acts like it's not in gear just for a split second then it takes off like normal after a little bump.

I've noticed this on a few chevy gas rigs i've driven over the years also.

Any ideas

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Check for codes with a Tech 2. You have the earliest Allison and they had some defects that should be addressed.

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
I've checked quite a few times with the efi live scan tool never any codes.
Does the tech 2 have more capability with that?

I have seen a service bulletin that may apply not sure.

Dave L Weaver

Apr 5, 2011
Chester County Pa
Hey Guys,
I have a 2001 chev 2500hd with 6.6 duramax and allison transmission.

I've had this happen 2-3 times now I pull up to stop and when I go to take off it acts like it's not in gear just for a split second then it takes off like normal after a little bump.

I've noticed this on a few chevy gas rigs i've driven over the years also.

Any ideas
I came on here to post the same problem. Same year truck n doing the same thing....come to a stop n get on the throttle n seems like its not in gear then suddenly grabs! Every thing shifts fine n temps r normal. Hope sombody has a clue what the problem is!!!!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
These problems could be draggy shift solenoids that are slow to respond. You cannot check them unless you have a solenoid dyno and see what is going on. Solenoids are cheap at Allison and easy to change Go buy three of them and see what happens.

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
Problem solved

Check for codes with a Tech 2. You have the earliest Allison and they had some defects that should be addressed.

Thanks Mike,

Took truck in to dealer and had TCM programming updated and put into fast learn.

It's clicking off nice crisp little shifts alll the way up and down. Also seems to downshift from 2-1 a little quicker when pulling to a stop so it's ready when I hit the pedal to go!