Tranny issue?

Kevindoe

Nov 12, 2013
I bought my truck about a month ago. When I bought it, it was heavily modified. I do not know every mod on it yet, but I am having issues with the tranny slipping sometimes and it throws a code. It doesn't have the problem all the time. It seems to happen mostly when I turn the programmer up to the extreme setting or into the race setting. The code would say that overdrive is slipping, so I turned off the overdrive while in either race or extreme setting, but it still throws a code and slips. When the code throws, it acts really weird. Some info would be appreciated! It has the Edge juice attitude programmer in it.

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Heavily modified, slipping trans and edge don't belong in the same post... Your trans is probably done for because of the edge and yours/the PO's driving habits. Time to save some money and get it built!

Kevindoe

Nov 12, 2013
Here is the kicker, the truck only has 37,700 miles on it.
As for modifications I know, 4" exhaust, aftermarket turbo, bigger injectors, air intake, edge power programmer. That is all the performance upgrades I could notice or have receipts for on the truck. The truck is lifted 8" with a CST lift, has 22.5" Alcoa semi truck wheels, aftermarket driveline, aftermarket rear end, wildwood break system, and sure there is more. There is a lot more mods then I have listed. I am just worried about the tranny right now. It's in the shop, so I will find out for sure today

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Here is the kicker, the truck only has 37,700 miles on it.
As for modifications I know, 4" exhaust, aftermarket turbo, bigger injectors, air intake, edge power programmer. That is all the performance upgrades I could notice or have receipts for on the truck. The truck is lifted 8" with a CST lift, has 22.5" Alcoa semi truck wheels, aftermarket driveline, aftermarket rear end, wildwood break system, and sure there is more. There is a lot more mods then I have listed. I am just worried about the tranny right now. It's in the shop, so I will find out for sure today

Interesting build

Kevindoe

Nov 12, 2013
I usually drive around in "mileage" mode or "drive" mode and it doesn't seem to have a problem in those modes. I think it slipped once or twice in "drive" mode (which is 3rd stage). I unfortunately did not buy the extended warranty due to the truck only having 32,700 miles on it when I bought it! Damn it, I thought these Allison's were supposed to be bullet proof?!?

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Nothing will heal your trans, it needs to be built. Drive it easy and save your money for a trans. And throw away the Edge.

Kevindoe

Nov 12, 2013
Not sure on the size of turbo or injectors! Are Allison transmissions spendy to rebuild? Is there a power programmer that does work with the tranny and engine of this truck?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
3K in parts for a good kit. if you can do it yourself and save the money. otherwise it will run 4500-5K. worth it though to put power to the ground.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
How important is power to you? If it is get EFI Live tuning for it and have your transmission built by someone REPUTABLE. The Trans will cost you right around 4k + or - depending on parts/kit you want. DITCH THE EDGE!

If power ain't important to you rebuild it stock, use stock tune and have an Allison that will last a long time.

j.stanton2009

So Long Space Cowboy...
Aug 18, 2010
Climax Tx
I usually drive around in "mileage" mode or "drive" mode and it doesn't seem to have a problem in those modes. I think it slipped once or twice in "drive" mode (which is 3rd stage). I unfortunately did not buy the extended warranty due to the truck only having 32,700 miles on it when I bought it! Damn it, I thought these Allison's were supposed to be bullet proof?!?

Lmao! "Bullet Proof"...

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
not that bad just heavy like 450lbs heavy. convertor bolts are the hardest thing to get to. where are you located?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Its called "limping the trans". It usually starts with the 4-5 shift and progressively gets worse. Put the truck back to stock tuning until you can rebuild the trans.