Tranny fluid change

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
Hey Guys, My ally has about 50,ooo miles since the last change, filter been done twice. My dealership did the last change but they are just too much. I assume I pull the plug on the pan and if thats correct, How many quarts of tranny fluid do I need? I have dexron VI which I believe is right with a new filter. Or is it a bad idea and should I just do the filter? Thanks

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Personally I would pull the pan and change internal filter as well. I know with a mag pan, when you change internal and external filtetrs you willl need 12 qts.

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
Thanks I am just doing the spin on for today then. Need the truck everyday til winter so I dont want to mess anything up. I did see the magnet on the other filter, where can I get one?

DougSmith

Yea, what hondarider said.

If you dont want to go through the time to do it right, then you will need 7 to 8 quarts by drain plug pull.

Why are you only changing the spin on filter every 25,000? You wanting to replace the tranny soon? 5,000 to 10,000 miles is about right. When the tranny starts shufting odd, change the spin on. Get them on ebay like 12 at a time for about $8 a piece. Cheap prevention!

Those are real ally filters I get on ebay too.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
I have been doing 25,000 because its all highway and I just got back from a trip that was 10,000 miles in 14 days. Truck has over 50,000 since Mid Febuary and seems to shift fine. Thanks for the info.

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
Dude I hear everyone and believe me, I would do alot more to the truck but there doesnt seem to be shop near me in RI. Ben seems to know his stuff but seems to busy. I am only doing what I can safely do as I need this truck to make a living and really dont want to be broken towing a custumers $100,000 boat.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
...your tranny won't blow up if you don't change your internal filter, nor will it blow up if you don't change your external filter every 6k miles, Even with small tunes. Since it's you work vehicle I doubt you abuse it. Change the spin on every other oil change and if you can switch to transynd, do it. If you can read and barely turn a wrench you can do a tranny fluid change. Draining just the stock pan will take 8qts

look up the hoot method to get a better fluid change

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
Thats the info I need. So change the spin-on tranny filter, pull the plug on the bottom of the pan, and refill with 8 quarts of transynd. Sounds like a oil change. I am very easy on it and never take it out for around town driving. If its running its making money. Thanks again :thumb:

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
The guy before me did so I had to get a new one. Hopefully it wasnt driven long with out one. It seems to be fine. Im more worried about the crankshaft break count thats going on.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Don't loose sleep over that garbage! It's a very very very small percent compared to how many lbz are out there. Do regular maintnace on your rig and enjoy it

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I like the Allison recomend. Pull drain plg and replace fluid...7.5 qts regular pan.. 10 qts or so, deep pan. drive a few miles and do it again. this method will put you at over 90% fluid exchange.

curt

noob
Jun 10, 2012
alberta, canada
i pulled the pan as well and cleaned the magnet strip inside of the base of the pan! i used 21 litres(almost 5 gal pail) of dex 3 oil! complete flush just drain pan, i removed pan cleaned out then installed! add tran fluid to full then pull return line from tran oil cooler off(its marked on transmission) use hose from cooler line to 4 litre container start truck and shut off when approx 2 litres goes into container and refill transmission to full mark, repeat till approx 21 litres has been used and watch color of return fluid! when starting truck i cycled thru gears as well(gotta be quick,lol) then reinstall return line and check level!

rbsduramax05

Aug 1, 2011
Va
you wont need another magnet its just there to collect metal shavings if something goes wrong, just make sure u put it back. its usually bwtn 5 to 7 quarts also.