towing/mud tire

2007dmax

Jul 6, 2014
Looking for suggestions on a tire. I have a 2007 duramax. I mainly use the truck to tow a 35' toy hauler, roughly 12k lbs loaded. I put maybe 3000 miles a yr on the truck. When I do tow, we go to mud rides and camp grounds and some pretty nasty places. Just looking for some suggestions on a good all around tire for towing and off road. The truck currently has wheels off a H2 and some 265/70R/17 bridgestone dueler tires that allow me to just about get stuck in the grass in my yard. Kinda resemble street slicks to me, pretty embarrassing. Towing to me is the main feature I'm looking for, mud second. I'd also like to step up and put a taller tire on the truck that will fit, no lift, none in the future and no gearing in the future either. I'd love to put a good mud slinger on the truck, but I also don't need blowouts from towing a heavy load either. Price isn't a factor really just need the best of both worlds if it exist. Thanks.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
You have quite a few options

Many people swear by BFG all terrains or their AT2s

I would recomemd Goodyear Duratracs. The largest complaint I've seen is "wobble" (the truck slides left and right while driving, usually because people are running tires way to narrow of a tire)

And IMO, stay away from nittos. Way too soft.

Other than that I would go with toyo. Good price, last awhile, and they are becoming more popular than BFG AT around here

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
I use Kelly safari tsr's. Tow alot, sled pull aswell and they have held up awesome.. Cheap also. 285-75-16 mounted balanced 1100 out the door

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I have a couple buddies that have Nitto trail grapplers and they tow pretty heavy. They've been great tires for them. They're soft but they both got about 40k miles out of them. I have Terra grapplers. They're great too but not really any more aggressive than your Bridgestones. The same buddy blew up 2 bfg km2s before he went to nittos. I don't think he'll ever have bfgs again. Haven't heard much trouble with the a/t k.o. but nut very aggressive. Toyo makes a good mud terrain too. I think Toyo and Nitto are sister companies if I'm not mistaken.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I'm on my second set of trail grapplers and I really like them. Mine are mounted on H2s and I've had no problems at all. I got 62k out of the first set, including towing ~13k several times.

Corey

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm on my second set of Bfg km2's and tow 12k quite a bit. Never had an issue and always did me well in mud, little wheel spin cleans them out and she grabs and goes

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My Dick Cepek MT's seem to do both the tasks well-towing and mud.
I'd try another set out.
The Toyo seems to hold up fairly well also.
Stay away from AT's and as previously stated make sure you get an E load rated tire.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Toyo open country mt. Im on my 4th set, they wear great, dont have any road noise and I tow heavy with them regularly....

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Goodrich all terrains wear out too fast.

ive used Nitto Terra Grapplers for quite awhile on just about all my trucks, they last great on mine, and take a little abuse. but thats in the all terrain section..

i bought a set of used Kumho mud terrains from a buddy, and they were by far my favorite set of tires ive used! better than the old school goodrich mud terrains in my opinion. the Kumhos came in load range E, lasted a good while, towed 20k or so quite a few times, and man they dug in the dirt great when i needed them to..

id love to have another set, but they kinda get pricey the bigger you go... :( LOL

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
I towed from MD to CO through snow, standing water, and you name it on my BFG AT tires and they were GREAT. Gotten me through anything Ive needed them too. Just got a new set. Smooth and quiet ride. Whites out of course.

ebebu6aq.jpg

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I've been very happy with my Cooper Discoverer STT. They do great in mud, handle snow covered roads much better then I expected, and seem to ride pretty quietly. I"ll buy them again. I run 265/75/16E on my pyo"s. When funds allow I'm going to put a set on my h2"s when I lift the truck.

2007dmax

Jul 6, 2014
I didn't expect so many responses so quickly. I've personally noticed a lot of guys running the trail grapplers, but never realized they were a a/t. Whats the tallest I can go with no lift and no gears. I don't really want to hurt the stock performance as far as towing. I may stop by today at my local tire place and get some prices and compare to tire rack. Sounds like I just need a good e rated m/t. Sorry if I sound ignorant on this subject, never really needed to buy m/t's before

2007dmax

Jul 6, 2014
Also don't want it to look retarded with a really tall tire and no lift so set me straight lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you can go as high as 305/70r16s with some trimming. a 285/75r16 and up though you will notice a difference in towing. i would stick with a 265/75r16 though with what your doing